757/767

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DLconnection

I know that the cockpit design for the 757/767 are very similiar. This was done to make a transition from one aircraft to the other easier. My question is..... if u get a type rating for the 757, does your certificate say that u can fly just the 757 or are u now typed for both the 767/757? Someone told me that their dad flew for DAL and that he sometimes did trips in the 757 and others in the 767. I know that these planes are similiar, but they also seem to be quite a bit diff. Could someone clarify the whole 757/767 type rating for me. Thanks

Common Type

The B757/767 is indeed a common type rating. Most airlines operating both consider them a "common fleet" for flight crew purposes. Once you've gone through initial training, you'll generally take a "differences" course covering variations amongst the fleet types (Continental flies 757-200s, 757-300s, 767-200s, and 767-400s, for example, and Delta flies 757-200s and -200, -300, and -400 767s) at your particular company. Differences training is very common ... Delta MD-88/90 drivers do it, as do CO and SWA guys flying both older and next-generation 737s.

I know that at Delta, the 767 domestic sub-bases encompass both 757 and 767 flying, so going from one to the other on a trip certainly can (and does) happen. Delta does have separate sub-bases for the 767 international flying, though.

Hope this helps ... keep it safe!

R

Now for some more clarification......I mean confusion!

I didn't know CAL was flying 767-400s.....

But at DAL, the -400 is a separate bid status (Tell me if I'm wrong, DAL guys). Still the same type rating (according to the FAA), but separation for bidding purposes: -400 guys only fly -400s. They are, obviously, very senior.
I know my company has looked at the 767-400, and said that if we bought it, the 757/767 could become two separate bid statuses, instead of the one it is today.
Right now 75/76 guys are qualified on all versions, but what you fly depends on your bid status. If you're a DFW domestic type you fly a lot of 757s; if you're a MIA international type you fly a lot of 767-300s deep south. Very different airplanes, but all the same in the FAA's eyes.
For type rating trivia, rumor has it the 737-800 did not get the 777 overhead panel because the Feds wouldn't consider it a common type rating with older models. Many airlines would not cough up the dough for new type-rating training courses, so Boeing left the old-style switches and dials instead of "Auto" everything on the overhead panel.
Anyone on a 737-800 who finds themselves at cruise futzing with the fuel, pressurization, cabin temp or electrical system can thank their lucky stars that the feds didn't let them fly Boeing's newest overhead panel! Having everything done automatically would be much worse than trying to land a 767-300ER at night in Sao Paulo after only flying 757s for the past month! Right? The FAA says so, right?

Seems odd that the 767-400 is the same type rating. It's quite a different airplane than the rest of the 757-767 family with a different wing and 777 style? flight deck . . . . so I've been told.

I've also heard that DAL isn't happy with the range performance of the-400. Anybody confirm or deny?

Yeah, maybe it does seem odd the the 767-400 retained the same type rating when the Flight Standardization Board reviewed it....but no more so than the B717 is still a DC-9.

I am still in complete amazement that the 717 is a common type with the DC9. I've never flown the 737 but it seems inconsistent that the FAA would balk at updating the overhead to 777 standards considering that the 717 panels are like the MD11. Also, remember the DC10/MD10/MD11 type rating stuff at FedEx.

draginass

If I remember correctly, the only reason DAL ordered 767-400s was because at the time they were having a battle with ALPA over 777 rates and in a snit mgt deferred their 777 orders.

Re: the 737NG

It's really quite ridiculous that in this day and age the FAA would force Boeing to produce the NG with features such as generators you have to manually bring on line just to keep a common type....

The -400's at DAL were always meant to be a replacement for the L-1011's....they weren't a result of the 777 negotiations. Those talks for the 777 actually ended up including rates for the -400's (which were still months away from arriving on property.)

Just as someone else mentioned earlier in the string, the -400's are a separate category at DAL and it does go very senior.

Abe44

Latest resources

Back