• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

75% Of Song Outfitted with In-Flight Entertainment System
Monday March 1, 11:48 am ET
Installation to Be Complete by End of March
Live Satellite TV and Audio are Song's Newest Offerings To Enrich the Travel Experience; Exclusive Video On Demand Pay-Per-View Movies and MP3 Programming Coming Soon

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 1, 2004-- Song(TM), Delta Air Lines' high-quality, low-fare air service, announced today that 75 percent of its fleet has been outfitted with its state-of-the-art in-flight entertainment system and that it is on schedule to complete the entire fleet by March 31, 2004. Song's technology eventually will provide a comprehensive network of on-board entertainment amenities at each seatback, including: live, satellite television; video on demand pay-per-view movie programming; MP3 audio programming; and interactive video games.
Since October 2003, Song has been phasing its new entertainment technology into its fleet of 36 Boeing 757 aircraft at the rate of one plane every four to seven days. Once complete, all Song aircraft will be equipped with personal video monitors at each seat, offering a complement of entertainment features -- accessible via touch-screen technology -- including:

24 all-digital, live, DISH Network TV channels available to passengers for free;
all-digital broadcast audio programming with 24 free channels; and
multi-player interactive video games that allow play between passengers.
"Customer response to Song's innovative entertainment offerings so far has been outstanding," said Tim Mapes, Director of Marketing for Song. "By the end of March, our customers will be able to enjoy the wide range of choices this technology provides on each and every flight."

In April, Song will begin installation of server technology to its aircraft. This "Phase II" in-flight entertainment technology, which is planned to be installed throughout Song's existing fleet by December 2004, will provide an even broader array of amenities, including:

video on demand pay-per-view movie programming - a feature exclusive to Song -- providing a wide-range of current offerings for all ages;
digitally-streamed MP3 programming that allows customers to create individual play lists during their flights;
interactive iXplor moving map program with zoom capabilities and points of interest information; and
connecting gate information broadcast directly to personal in-seat video monitors.
Song provides non-stop service between major cities in the Northeast United States and key Florida leisure destinations, plus Atlanta, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and direct service to San Juan. Utilizing a fleet of thirty-six 199-seat, one-class Boeing 757s, Song provides more than 140 daily flights. Song offers an onboard food program, created by Chef Michel Nischan, featuring healthful, organic selections. In a recent report from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine that rated 10 major airlines on the availability of healthy meals, Song was cited as the only service to consistently provide healthy options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Additionally, Song recently partnered with Dylan's Candy Bar - the innovative candy store co-founded by Dylan Lauren, daughter of Ralph Lauren -- to provide Song-branded chocolates and candies for sale exclusively on board Song flights. Customers can use their credit card or cash to make food and other purchases onboard. Song presently serves all three New York metro area airports - JFK, Newark and LaGuardia - the only low-fare service to do so. All Song flights are operated by Delta Air Lines. Song tickets can be purchased by visiting flysong.com or calling 1-800-FLY-SONG (1-800-359-7664).

Bye Bye---General Lee;) :cool:

Looks like they've done a good job getting the IFE on board most of the Song fleet and their on schedule for the rest of the SONG 757s. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Song. Will GG and the boyz continue to expand Song, or keep it as a niche player serving mostly the NYC/BOS/FLA leisure market, or will they bring the "Song experience" to the mainline?

I't would be nice to get the Song IFE installed on the mainline aircraft, particularly the rest of the 757s and 767-200/300/400s, since they do the bulk of the longer domestic flights. I'm not sure about the 737s and MD88s, since they tend to do shorter flights, with some exceptions. DAL might get more bang for the buck concentrating on improving the IFE on transcon flights first.

Regardless, its good see that they've been able to keep on schedule with no apparent problems installing the new technology.

FDJ2,

I think the IFE does seperate the airlines---Frontier and Jetblue have LiveTV--and they are doing well. I also would like to see that spread to other parts of our fleet---but it would be expensive and I think you and I would personally have to pay for it. I don't mind taking a pacy cut at all--I just want to know where it would go---I would want it to pay off some of our debt---not buy RJs or buy more IFE. But, I suppose we would want to make sure we could keep the passengers coming---and IFE might just do that.....

Bye Bye---General Lee:rolleyes: ;)

General, I agree it would be expensive, but essential. DAL has to choose which aircraft will provide the biggest bang for the buck.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

This is my first post. Man... you guys must have a lot of time on your hands, especially this guy, General Lee. Who is this guy? Oh well, General, you seem to have a good idea of what's going on I must say.

Now for Song, this was a great idea, but I have my doubts that it is a good idea in the long run. Sure it is different and fun, but I think Delta better be concentrating on the mainline and not the subsidiary companies. All these great ideas should be incorporated into your core business. Just my take on things.

Well folks, I appreciate joining the discussions and will look forward to getting bashed like everyone else...yea right.

All for now, DLslug:)

DL Slug,

Welcome---and I THINK YOU KNOW WHO I AM......I am your worst NIGHTMARE!! No, you sound like a nice guy.....I agree with MOST of your thinking, and I don't know what Grinstein will do with Song. Hey, atleast he is still outfitting them with IFE......take it easy bud....

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

Latest resources

Back