737 type-help, hurt, doesn't matter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Black Hawk

I'm not flying regularly now and am working outside of aviation. The short story is that I simply need to be home for the time being. I'd like to return to flying in a few years and would like to do a few concrete things (in additon to my home sim)to keep involved over the next few years so I'm not totally out of the game when I start back up. Defintely doing SE and ME seaplanes out of interest but am also considering the 737 type mainly because it's not as expensive as others. I'm sure earning the type would make me a better pilot but would the type on my certificate hurt my marketability due to the SWA factor?

I got the type and have no regrets no matter what happens down the road. In fact, it has since led to two new jobs! I feel it not only made me a better pilot but it opened up new opportunities and I have yet to find somebody who sees it as a negative (I wouldn't want to work for an individual that had such a mentality anyway!) If you have the funds, and it sounds like you have some down time right now...go for it and don't worry about all of the nay-sayers. Good luck!

It All Depends...

What are your goals down the road? SWA? Any Airline? Corporate?

There are companies out there that offer a Citation type rating for about the same price as a 737 type. I don't think having a 737 type carries the stigma that it once did, simply because of the turmoil many airlines are going through today. Now, 10 years ago I know for a fact that a 737 type on your resume would be a negative when applying for a corporate job (other than one when the company has a 737). Same went for an FE rating. It was assumed that the airlines were your career goal.

Any type rating without time in type isn't going to be of much use, especially considering insurance requirments these days. Yes, it says you're able to pass a checkride and earn a type. It might get your resume in the door especially if the operator has that type of aircraft. Personally, if you have that amount of money to use towards a type and aren't currently flying regularly, use the money to rent a light twin and stay current. You'd be much better off down the road when you're ready to return to flying by having stayed current and gotten another several hundred hours than having 10-20 more hours and a 737 type rating.

To each their own, but I'd rather fly a light twin once or twice a week than add a 737 type to my certificate with little hope of ever flying one (since I have no airline desires and BBJ jobs are nonexsistant in my neck of the woods).

Good luck with your decision.

2000Flyer

I agree with H25B. Why put something on your resume if it has no bearing on the job you're applying for? You don't have to put EVERYTHING you've ever done on a resume!! & a type for an aircraft in which you have no time is just a big red alarm.

Now if you worked for a company like US Airways which typed its F/Os, got a 737 type, and flew the airplane for a few thousand hours (shrug). It's kind of a wash. Much easier to explain than, "Well I had about ten grand burning a hole in my pocket and figured, what the heck?"

PS. El Guapo says, "Would you say I have a plethora of presents?"

2000flyer said:
What are your goals down the road? SWA? Any Airline? Corporate?
Thanks to all for replying. Even if, by some stretch, I was hired at SWA I'd be looking at less than 10 years there and being FO or junior the whole time. Given my age and relatively low hours I'm thinking corporate/fractional or a regional airline is more realistic. Somewhere where I could get more responsibility and left seat earlier and teach or fly after age 60. The reason for the type and seaplane ratings is to learn and do something new. Keep from stagnating.

Last edited:
You don't have to put it on your resume but the company will find out when they ask for copies of your certificates. How honest a guy are you going to appear to be if they find out after they hire you that you were not 100% honest with regards to your prior experience?

That being said...I know a guy that has a 737 type and has been offered two different, very good jobs since he got the type a couple of years ago. The bottom line is, the more the company likes you, the more they will be willing to overlook.

h25b said:
You don't have to put it on your resume.
Oh yes you do. The first thing many chief pilots do is to take a look at your records on the FAA's online database. (All you need is a name and the state where they live.) If you've got a 737 type that you're not owning up to, their imagination is going to run wild if you get my drift. I think that, in many ways and for many people, a 737 type rating and/or a FE ticket still implies a desire to be an airline pilot. Granted, it doesn't carry the stigma it once had in the corporate community - just tell them your dream job is flying a BBJ and you're just getting ready. :nuts: Hopefully, they'll believe you. If they don't you won't get the call back.

'Sled

Last edited:
Black Hawk said:
Thanks to all for replying. Even if, by some stretch, I was hired at SWA I'd be looking at less than 10 years there and being FO or junior the whole time. Given my age and relatively low hours I'm thinking corporate/fractional or a regional airline is more realistic. Somewhere where I could get more responsibility and left seat earlier and teach or fly after age 60. The reason for the type and seaplane ratings is to learn and do something new. Keep from stagnating.

Hawk, I've been at a regional over 9 years(seniority list anyway, half has been on mil leave). I would rather be a FO at SWA than a senior RJ Capt. The money, QOL, and stability is much great. Plus, I think the age 60 rule will be raised within the next 10 years. I would make more as a 2nd year FO at SWA then I would as a year 10 CA at my current employer. FWIW.

If you have a type rating you need to have it on your resume. Anything else will cause issues with the people who do the hiring.

As for the 737 type, there are many corporate operators out there that do not hire airline types. Mostly becaue they invested a good deal of time and money into a person and then they left when they were recalled by their airline. In a corporate operation there is much more than just a type rating involved. Knowing the people and the company. The procedures and so on. It has been my experience that it takes over a year before the new pilot is really up to speed. So there is an investment of time on the part of the flight department personnel in this person. And to have him leave just when you are starting to get full value out of him is quite frustrating. You can understand ti when the company doesn't pay or treat someone well, but when they are industry standard and treated quite well, ittends to put that flight department off forloughed airline pilots.

Latest resources

Back