• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

737 stick pusher

lumax

Total Time
With all the talk in the last couple of days with regards to the Colgan crash, I started digging a little deeper into my 737 systems. With regards to the stall warning system I found that "the elevator feel shift (EFS) computer increases system A hydraulic pressure to the elevator feel and centering unit during a stall. This creates about 4 times the normal forward force on the yoke." The systems book does not technically call it a stick pusher even though it sure sounds like one. However, in another source I found the same description and it did call it a stick pusher.
Anyone have better info on this?

Colonel Savage

Southern style...
Total Time
NoTime
Is that Classic or NG?

AWACoff

Total Time
Our manuals at CAL state that it increases to 2 times normal... Who knows which manuals are correct. No mention about it being a stick pusher. I've never even seen it demonstrated in the sim that I can recall. Our recoveries were done at the shaker.

another cfii

Total Time
5000+
I recall in the sim during that maneuver, you get the shaker when you reach the PLI line, once you past it (above the PLI line), you'll get the pusher. And it's a doozy, easily you can lose 3-500 feet in a second.

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
I have a vague memory of it being demonstrated in the sim at high altitude at the airline you and I work for, Lumax.

lumax

Total Time
That is better memory than mine because I don't remember ever going beyond stick shaker. But then again I can't remember what I had for dinner last night!

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
Total Time
10000+
The shaker does quite enough to get my attention, thank you.

redflyer65

Total Time
No pushers on the 737's that I know, it might be model specific though...

ron burgundy

Total Time
12000+
In my airplane it is a carbon based stick pusher, activated at the onset of sphincter constriction.

njcapt

Freak power candidate
Total Time
>12K
None of the 737 series has a stick pusher. The BBJ, the -700's I flew at AirTran and the -800's I flew at ATA had an Elevator Feel Shift mechanism which used the Speed Trim to move the horizontal stab to cause a nose down movement.

Last edited:

Whine Lover

Total Time
12000+
Correct Sir.

The system is not a "stick pusher" per se, but rather, it makes it that much more difficult ( via trim ) to apply back pressure to the control column in an approach to stall condition. ( Such as that which occured in the Colgan/BUF crash.)

YKMKR

Last edited:

HalinTexas

昇る太陽の土&#
Total Time
10000+
There's PLENTY of jobs out there.

You just have to like the smell of either curry powder, fish heads, and/or raw sewage.

Sincerely,

Zhi Peng Patel

Or work for "Colgan" wages.

Who, but the young and single, can afford that? I'm 43, married, with a 12 year old that I'm required to send child support to. I don't want to live with my dad. That 12 year old has basically kept me from going overseas. I'd rather watch her grow up. I briefly worked in the Carib, but that deal was killing me. I'd rather not fly for a living anymore if I have to put up with all that BS.