• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 headset advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here goes. I just purchased the Telex 850 from Spinnerspilotshop.com for $420, plus $3 shipping. It came with a basic headset pouch thrown in for free.

I have only flown one trip with it, but can make the following observations:

1. It does work on the 737-300 at SWA, and by inference, it will also work on the -500 and -700. The -200 I don't fly anymore, so won't comment, but rumor has it that it might not work as well.

2. No batteries is the way to go. I have flown at SWA for 4+ years now and have watched lots of captains fiddle with the battery pack, turning it off and on and what not. Plus the added recurring expense as well as the need to remember to always carry spares makes it a pain.

3. The noise reduction worked pretty darn well. I used to hate flying certain tail numbers of the -300 because of the constant background squeal in the comm system, let alone listening to the VOR idents or FM radio bleed over even when I didn't have those systems monitored. I didn't hear any of that with the Telex 850.

4. The flexible mike boom is great, as it allows the headset to fold easier as well as really customizing the position in front of your mouth for speaking clearly.

5. The Telex 850 has an On/Off switch for the ANR, which you obviously need to leave in the ON position. As for the volume control, I leave it in low for best results, because that allows me (in the 737) to turn up individual comm panel radio volumes as desired, so I don't have to hear company yacking to someone else too loud if I don't want to. When I tried the switch in High, I couldn't fully turn down radio volumes I was monitoring but didn't want to hear too loud.

Overall, it works as advertised. It is taking a little getting used to though, as I used to wear the single side molded ear piece. Having both ears covered is new again, but the padding is very soft.

Just a thought and my two cents worth.

If you want a telex 750, I have 4 that I would like to sell. 100 bucks each (buy one or all four. Shipping included) and they are yours!

Send me an email if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back