737 headset advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV80R

Sorry to bring it up again but I did a search on the subject and didn’t find the answers I was looking for. So here it goes...

Has anyone used the Sennheiser HMEC25-KA or HMEC25-KAS ANR headset? I am thinking about getting one but it has an active and a passive noise canceling feature, and I am not sure if I’ll be able to hear my captain/copilot.

If you had problems hearing your sidekick, how did you deal with it/fix it?

Would the HMEC45-KA or HMEC45-KAS be better even though it doesn’t filter the noise as much? (It only has the active noise feature.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Like 99% of the other guys, I've used the plantronics boom mike w/molded ear hickey for years, but had to stop due to chronic pain and infection... it got to where I couldn't insert anything into my ear. I bought a Telex 750 on eBay and haven't looked back. With the 750, I find I cup one ear and keep the other exposed, so as to be able to communicate with my bud.

Do you really want an ANR headset, or even a headset with squishy ear seals in a larger transport? They really aren't that loud. I've never flown with hot mike or intercom, and don't know of anyone who has on anything bigger than a DC-9. I think you'd have trouble hearing your partner.

I've noticed that the captains I fly with in the 737-200 that have the ANR hear themselves really well. In turn, they tend to whisper or speak very softly, which makes it very difficult for me to hear them, as I use the Telex 750 (there is no intercom).

If you go the ANR route, please speak up!

I use the Sennheiser headset. Most of the time I fly with the right cup off the ear, or partially off. When I do use it over both ears I can still hear the F/O okay, just somewhat muffled. I got it primarily to hear ATC better & also because I got tired of flying with the earpiece in the ear. The Sennheiser is much more comgfortable, & even with only the left ear covered it is much quieter in the cockpit.

Swede said, "Do you really want an ANR headset, or even a headset with squishy ear seals in a larger transport? They really aren't that loud."
That 737 is louder than hell at 320 knots. Shouting is mandatory at that speed.

AV80R, here's my story...

I bought a HMEC-45KA (for a ton of money):
- Noise reduction was, well, less than what I expected.
- Left earpiece developed a continuous tone.
- I sent it back --- they repaired it.
- Right earpiece developed a continuous tone.
- I called them back, complaining, and told them I wanted my money back.

So, Sennheiser, very apologitcally, explained that their equipment just shouldn't malfunction like this.

Sennheiser took back my HMEC-45KA, and sent me a HMEC-25KA:
- I have yet to try it in the airplane, but it's very tight on the head
- It's built of very (in my opinion) breakable plastic.

So, I'll try it in the airplane... we'll see how it goes.

“Do you really want an ANR headset?”

Swede - I’ve tried earplugs and a regular plantronics boom mike but I keep getting this headache. Didn’t happen in the past when I was flying much noisier airplanes but was using an ANR David Clark headset. I’m hoping this will solve the problem.

737tanker - Which Sennheiser model do you use?

DH106 - Please let me know how you like the -25 model, that’s the one I’ve been thinking about. If it wasn’t for the “continues tone” would you have kept the -45’s? How well could you hear the captain/fo in them?

AV80R,

I'm gonna' try the -25KA in two days... I'll let you know how it works after my 3-day trip.

In my opinion (on the 737), the -45KA reduced the noise by only 25% to 30%. Not a drastic change. I still had to uncover the left earpiece to hear the typical, token whispering captain! : )

I'm gonna' try the -25KA in two days... I'll let you know how it works after my 3-day trip.

Awesome, thank you.

...typical, token whispering captain! : )

I know what you mean...

Sennheiser ANC Headset

AV80R,

I used the 25KA in the B737-800. Sure, the ambient noise level wasn't like the B727 that I had previously flown, but it was loud enough. Didn't want to end up like my old captains that responded, "WHAT?" to every single checklist item. I have had no problems with the 25KA and find its worth the investment. Since its a headset, it's not quite as comfy as my old plastic earpiece, but I figure that's a small price to pay to be able to have my hearing right up to retirement. Like others have said, the ANC really makes ATC clearances easier to understand and in general reduces noise and related stress level in the cockpit.
Since most jets don't have intercoms, I do have to slide an earpiece off to the side a bit so I can hear the boss. Not that big a deal, really. Durability hasn't been a problem; plastic beats metal when its sitting on top of my noggin for a day.

I've since used the 25KA in a Piper Archer and found it to be excellent there also.

Good Luck

Not sure how it compares to the 737 but I've used the -25KA in the 328Jet for the last few years and it makes things VERY quiet. Well worth the money if you ask me. I actually used to use it in the J41, which is quite loud, and it did well there also...about the same as a DC 13.4 non-ANR headset but much lighter.

It also seems to be just fine in the reliability department. I haven't had any problems with it since I've owned it.

Latest resources

Back