737 climb performance (after T/O)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Domo Arigato Y'all

Many thanks again! I swear this forum is always entertaining and sometimes useful, this time it was very useful!!

Beers

Of all my transport aircraft experiences, the 737-800 is third behind the 757 and 777 in climb. It does a good job despite having French engines.

The 777 of course varies with the fuel load, but for domestic its a rocket. Tokyo, not so much.

SMOOTHRIDE said:
In the 300 sim (at training weights), after liftoff, and before accel. height (prior to reducing pitch and accel for flap schedule), the vsi seemed pretty high (maybe 3000 fpm or close to it)-- is that possible?

Not at all unusual. Consider that once you're established in your second segment climb, you're pitching somewhere in the neighborhood of V2+10 - V2+15 with two engines running (20k#/thrust each) and the wheels up.

For what it's worth, at MGTOW the 300 weighs 3.375 pounds per pound of thrust, while the 700 weighs 3.192lbs/lb thrust. However, when the 700 is flown at stage lengths typical of the 300 (and thus not nearly 20,000 # heavier) the ratio is 2.789... a rocketship to say the least. Doing ICAO A departure profiles in a 700 (SNA, DCA, etc) it's not unusual at all to bury the VSI at 6000 FPM until you pitch for acceleration.

Last edited:
ATR,

At 6000 fpm (or more) things must be happening pretty fast...

Most I've done is 3500 fpm (not so sustained).

The -700 out of SNA does awesome. You can't blink during the takeoff or you miss a couple hundred feet whizzing by...

Can't wait to do it in a 757...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back