737 Captain Pay Comparison

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UALjan15 said:
I think what he is saying is that you can have the highest hourly pay on the chart, but if you're only flying 43 hours/month, your paycheck is going to suck.

Snoopy58 said:
Pay rate is one part of the picture, but it isn't the whole thing, not by a long shot.

Hey guys, I think...no I hope, most in the industry understand rate*hours flown=pay.

Monthly guarantee is a manpower tool that has benefit to the pilot group and to the company, unless it's 43 hours then it's a raw deal for pilots.

IF we're talking about about a monthly guarantee, Kitty Hawk agrees to pay their Captains (rate*43) at a minimum. and yes that IS a low guarantee compared to the rest of the industry. My guess is that a pilot at Kitty Hawk has the opportunity to fly MORE than 43 hours per month by schedule or by picking up trips. To be a reserve at Kitty Hawk, and not have the ability to fly more than the 43 hour guarantee would indeed SUCK.

Bottom Line: rate*hours flown=pay. No $hit

For an example:

Pilot A: A Kitty Hawk pilot has the opportunity to fly 75 hours per month for 12 months ($174*75*12=$156,600).

Pilot B: A Southwest pilot that drops trips to get an adjusted* credit time of 65 hours per month for 12 months ($182*65*12=$141,960) [*Southwest pays by trip I know, but for the sake of an example bare with me].

Who made more money based on hours flown - Pilot A or pilot B?

Monthly guarantee is a minimum pay, and no argument that Kitty Hawk's guarantee is lagging the rest of the industry. But it's a minimum.

If the guarantee is a maximum - that's called a salary.

ironwedge said:
For an example:

Pilot A: A Kitty Hawk pilot has the opportunity to fly 75 hours per month for 12 months ($174*75*12=$156,600).

Pilot B: A Southwest pilot that drops trips to get an adjusted* credit time of 65 hours per month for 12 months ($182*65*12=$141,960) [*Southwest pays by trip I know, but for the sake of an example bare with me].

Who made more money based on hours flown - Pilot A or pilot B?

Neither of your "examples" is realistic. Sure, anyone can think up a scenario that would skew things into a particular pigeon-hole. ("What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?" for example.:rolleyes: )

Track down a Kitty Hawk pilot. Ask them when was the last time they had the "opportunity" to fly 75 hours in a month. Any month. Let alone do it every month in a year.

I have another "example" for you. What if my company allowed me to maximize my pay credits by simply saying, "we are going to pay you 150 credits a month for the next 12 months while you research if by doing this for every pilot on the property, would it have an impact on our profitability"?

Who would make more money? Me or the pilot flying an average schedule?

Based on my "exapmle", I would. But this has about as much to do with anything as your "example".

Yank McCobb said:
Neither of your "examples" is realistic.

Maybe not, but do you disagree with the logic? I did say that it was for the sake of example right?

That chart shows an hourly rate comparison, I'm not sure why anyone would read a monthly guarantee into it. The chart doesn't address guarantees or make any assumption or forecast for W2 earnings. It also doesn't project career earnings.

Based on HOURLY RATES only, Kitty Hawk pilots are paid an HOURLY rate second only to Southwest. No?

ironwedge said:
That chart shows an hourly rate comparison, I'm not sure why anyone would read a monthly guarantee into it.

Hey, here's one for you- I'll pay you $700./hr to fly this 737. Guarantee? Hey, don't worry about it! You're getting $700. bucks an hour, Chief! :rolleyes:

ironwedge said:
Maybe not, but do you disagree with the logic?

I don't disagree that the hourly rate posted at Kitty Hawk is higher than anyone but SWA. However, I cannot agree to your "logic" because there is none. Pay is pay. And to me, pay = money that can be used for expenses or saved for the future. I cannot "spend" nor "save" an hourly rate. I CAN spend or save what that hourly rates translates into as far as actual dollars earned. THAT is the only thing you can use to compare one company's pay to another's.

Yank McCobb said:
I don't disagree that the hourly rate posted at Kitty Hawk is higher than anyone but SWA. However, I cannot agree to your "logic" because there is none. Pay is pay.

Are you this much fun to fly with too? :)

The chart at APC shows an hourly rate. That's all. It doesn't infer anything other than hourly rate and clearly doesn't infer a ranking of annual compensation...only hourly rate.

That said, ask a 12 year Capt. at Bigsky (making $42/hr) if he thinks Hourly Rate influences potential W2 earnings.

ironwedge said:
That said, ask a 12 year Capt. at Bigsky (making $42/hr) if he thinks Hourly Rate influences potential W2 earnings.

That's exactly right. Hourly rate is the Big Kahuna of what our W2 looks like at the end of the year. Give me more!

Othello:

The Fine Folks( We Thank You) At Hooters Air Make

Yr 1 Fo Cpt

33500 69000

2 36500 74000

3 39500 77500

4 41500 81000

This Is A Scientific Wild Ass Guess! ( Swag)

Latest resources

Back