• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 and winglets and Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah the first batch of -800s would need spar strengthening and other mods to support the winglets. I think its only the first 12-14. Otherwise its basically a bolt-on, and the rest of the -800s are getting them. So will the new-used 757s being delivered this year will have them also.

When you're in Ch 11, a lot of things get put on the back burner. But, with the fuel savings these offer you'd think we'd have had them already.

Other techie stuff, the -700s will have the same HGS display as the -800s, EFBs are finally getting back in the game plan again, and the 767 fleet will be getting a wide format avionics upgrade....no more round dials.

Has DL officially announced the upgrade to the IS&S flat panel display?

No, just a few blurbs from flight ops management...they have been working with Boeing on a solution, and there is also another vendor out there that's pretty cost-effective (probably who ABX used). The 767s are going to be around for a long time, so it would definitely allow for future technologies. It would also allow for some efficiencies with training and blending categories, etc.

Like most rumors, its best not to believe it until you fly it! :)

No, just a few blurbs from flight ops management...they have been working with Boeing on a solution, and there is also another vendor out there that's pretty cost-effective (probably who ABX used). The 767s are going to be around for a long time, so it would definitely allow for future technologies. It would also allow for some efficiencies with training and blending categories, etc.

Like most rumors, its best not to believe it until you fly it! :)

Yea, I just talked to the guy at IS&S (former DAL Tech Ops) and he says that DAL has not signed on yet, but it may be close. There are a couple other airlines ahead of DAL on this issue (one carries big brown boxes and the other is out of DFW with shiny silver airplanes). We are waiting to do the mod on our airplane but we would like to see a big airline other than ABX step in there 1st. It's really a no brainer since you get rid of the symbol generators (very expensive to replace) and the down time per ship is about 3 days. Cost is under 400K per aircraft.

Didnt UAL repaint their fleet whil in BK? Cant afford to pay the bills, but can afford to repaint the planes?

Re-branding the airline and painting a few planes in the new colors is hardly repainting the fleet. Look for Delta to do the exact same thing... my guess is 1 or 2 planes get the new paint job as we exit bankruptcy, the 757's get it as they come on property and soon enough we'll be back to having 3-4 livery's on property just like it's been for the last decade or so (I hardly see any of the Ron's around any more...must be time for a new livery)

I have also been surprised by Delta NOT putting winglets on the 75's and 738's. It is a HUGE cost savings and would be nothing but a feather in their cap if they got this done.
On a side note, Japan Airlines built a new "Car Wash" hangar for their aircraft. According to ATW magazine, JAL figured that it would save them an average of just over 1.5million per aircraft every 2 years in fuel savings. Keep them clean and your fuel savings will be MEAN!! Gordon Bethune believed that when I saw his airplanes overnight in PHX, they were washed EVERY NIGHT!! ;)

They have been keeping planes clean at DAL to safe fuel also. Most interesting is something called a compressor wash that helps engine fuel burns. Tons of stuff behind the scenes that aren't great press but are good business.

I think that 732 at CVG belongs to PACE Airlines.

And who are they? BTW, the tail # is 249TR, comes up as owned by WellsFargo, but that can mean about a million things.

Latest resources

Back