• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

737 abort procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Could this have something to do with the -200s not having automatic spoilers and this is a carry over from that? I thought I heard where you had to manually deploy the spoilers on landing. I know both airlines previously operated the -200.

You got it Toyota. Except Southwest can't seem to get over the fact that the -200 has been gone for 6 years! Heck we just started using autobrakes last year.

Gup

Most of the guys I fly with think they're still on the -200.

"Well on the -200, ya had yada yada would stop on a dime yada yada climb at the barber pole, descend at the barber pole yada yada turn that off, we didn't have that in the -200 yada yada V2 is always 130 yada yada EFF that V-nav."

Alaska...

1. Thrust Levers Idle/Autothrottle - Disengage
2. Brakes - monitor auto-brake
3. Speed Brake - Verify Full Up

4. Reverse thrust- as required.

My personal opinion is that reverse should be last as you technically don't need it at all to stop in time. If the last thing you are trained to do is look at the brakes/speed brakes then I can see it becoming a problem if the auto-system fails/is MEL'd and you don't catch the problem until after the reverse is out.

Anyway, probably doesn't matter that much as long as you get everything done.

Later

Most of the guys I fly with think they're still on the -200.

"Well on the -200, ya had yada yada would stop on a dime yada yada climb at the barber pole, descend at the barber pole yada yada turn that off, we didn't have that in the -200 yada yada V2 is always 130 yada yada EFF that V-nav."

Funny, next time ask how it climbed, about 500 fpm and with the anti ice on a c-150 could out climb it. I use to call the anti- ice switches the anti climb switches on the 200.

I use to call the anti- ice switches the anti climb switches on the 200.

I'll guess it still climbed better with the "anti-climb" on than with them off and in icing conditions... :D

For dinosaur jockeys like me, max brake application comes first in the laundry list of things to do during a rejected takeoff. I presume that in some of those new-fangled jets that RTO braking is activated by pulling the throttles back to idle, and so the throttle reduction has to come first to bring all the other automated stuff into action, but from firstthird's account of SWAs procedures, wouldn't max brake application (second on the list) trip off RTO braking, if you're using it? Or is that step a verification that the auto brakes are engaged and working? Either way, without auto brakes, max braking should come first, or at least simultaneous with throttle reduction to get stopped in the shortest distance.

Even with automatic spoilers you have few seconds between reverser deployment and the unlock process before you can move the levers beyond the first detent. I use that pause to ensure the speedbrake lever is "up",then go back to the reversers.

Latest resources

Back