• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

717's to DELTA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, the Legacies ONLY fly INTL? We have plenty of pilots who have NEVER flown INTL routes or widebodies. I talked to a FNWA guy who has spent the last 25 years on the DC9, starting out at Republic, and who is now in the top 10 Captains in DTW on the DC9. But, he has a CHOICE. If he wants to, he can next go to the MD88, or bid the A330 as a Captain. That is the difference. Choice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Huh? I think you missed the point of what I was saying. I know the legacies do both, that's just ridiculous to say otherwise. My point is that just because you like int'l flying doesn't mean others do. The SWA guys/gals all seem pretty damn happy flying domestically in their 737. Yes I think choice is a great thing, but if you have no choice, then you learn to accept and live with what you have. I think they all knew going in that SWA only has one fleet and flies domestically. One question, do you feel superior because you have a choice of flying int'l or domestic?

One comment: I hope you reallly don't believe you are immune to either.

No- I'm diligent- but I work my business so that if what could happen does- I can walk-

True integrity means building a life where you can make the right call and not end up on the street-

That said, the culture of swa both with mgmt and the union would have to fall a lot- I continue to feel lucky to have both

By 2015 the smallest plane we will have (your 717s) will pay $195 an hour for 12 year Capts, and a lot more for everything else bigger, and then a new contract comes up in 2 1/2 years.

That's a good thing. SWA is suppose to be a low cost carrier. So it's good for them to have the competitions cost higher. Fortunetaly, for everyone in the industry SWA was able to increase and maintain narrow body wages, while the legacies went through bankruptcy and lowered wages (with those hedges). So, thank you SWA for holding the line. And thank you Delta for resuming your role of higher salary and costs.

Huh? I think you missed the point of what I was saying. I know the legacies do both, that's just ridiculous to say otherwise. My point is that just because you like int'l flying doesn't mean others do. The SWA guys/gals all seem pretty damn happy flying domestically in their 737. Yes I think choice is a great thing, but if you have no choice, then you learn to accept and live with what you have. I think they all knew going in that SWA only has one fleet and flies domestically. One question, do you feel superior because you have a choice of flying int'l or domestic?

You're right, not everyone likes the INTL flying. Some can't sleep in the rest facility (you will be miserable if that is the case), nor can they sleep 9 time zones away. It isn't for everybody. But, you can always try it out. Even on the 757/767 "ER" Category, I would say 60% of the flying is domestic only trips, so if you try a 8 day Asia trip and can't get accustomed to the time zones, or you don't like the brew or food in Europe (?), then you can bid back to normal 4 day domestic only trips. Or try a Hawaii and a domestic trip. Or do one day turns, etc etc etc. Get the picture. If you are too junior and on reserve and keep getting Lagos, then you can bid the 737 and make sure you never see that place again. Choice, is good. That was my point. Your airline doesn't have that. (just pointing out a fact) That can be good and bad.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's a good thing. SWA is suppose to be a low cost carrier. So it's good for them to have the competitions cost higher. Fortunetaly, for everyone in the industry SWA was able to increase and maintain narrow body wages, while the legacies went through bankruptcy and lowered wages (with those hedges). So, thank you SWA for holding the line. And thank you Delta for resuming your role of higher salary and costs.

That is true, but the reason they got to the higher rates was because someone else got their first, and held it until the BK, which was after the SWA contract......

Bye Bye---General Lee

That is true, but the reason they got to the higher rates was because someone else got their first, and held it until the BK, which was after the SWA contract......

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yeah, but they did it without big time scope relief. Which is more impressive than what you guys did 11-ish years ago.

Yeah, but they did it without big time scope relief. Which is more impressive than what you guys did 11-ish years ago.

They never had feed or asked for scope relief, it wasn't even in their business plan, especially back then after 9-11. There was never a hub and spoke type plan, with flying to smaller cities that RJs could have done. Not the same at all. They just mirrored the DL rates. I am glad they kept it, which now helps the DL pilots again. And, let's hope they keep it in the future as well. (GK seems to be on a cost rampage as of late)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
GL.....the elephant in the room behind ya is that now instead of RJ
scope ......we need to worry about Alaska scope.

GL.....the elephant in the room behind ya is that now instead of RJ
scope ......we need to worry about Alaska scope.

I agree, but even AK is growth limited coming up here. They are running out of space on the West Coast,(maybe SAN hub?) their new order doesn't add too many extra planes for growth compared to just replacements. How many more cities can they go nonstop from SEA or PDX? LAX is full.

We do have to watch domestic and INTL scope, you are right about that. No doubt there.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back