• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

717's to DELTA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard that enough in 2000 from "Legacy" guys, it doesn't always work out that way. The number one reason I chose SWA was it's balance sheet and the schedules. Rule Number One: You're in the Airline business, there are no sure things. Rule Number Two: Always remember Rule Number One

I've seen it before, it didn't work out too well for them now did it?

Unless age 65 is increased, it is a mathematical certainty, people retiring that is. Whether or not there is growth or downsizing, that can change things no doubt. But just looking at mandatory retirements and the amount of younger AirTran guys coming in to the middle of the SWA list, stagnation does seem plausible for the SWA pilots, unless there is huge growth, which GK is not talking about these days, rather cost cutting.

As far as what happened to SWA guys in 2000 leaving and going to legacies, no, no it didn't work out well for them. I think capacity has shrunk, and the competition has also shrunk, with a total of 3 legacies a good possibility coming up here, helping everyone. The potential to move upward in pay and QOL at those 3 legacies exists thanks to the huge projected retirement numbers, something most LCCs lack. And many junior guys at those LCCs will try to get in on the initial hiring, which could make a big difference in future downturns. Being in the front of a hiring wave is really important.

Bye Bye---General Lee

By 2015 the smallest plane we will have (your 717s) will pay $195 an hour for 12 year Capts, and a lot more for everything else bigger,

Bye Bye---General Lee

By 2020, the smallest airplane delta will be flying is a 757- bc the -900's are just not efficient, so clearly you'll have to outsource the 717's....
Right, GL?

No, this never does justice to either pilot group- but I've said it before- and again- the "cash and upgrades" disappeared pretty quick as soon as mgmt decided you guys needed a bankruptcy to gut your contract-

But to mitigate that, DALPA pilots voted to outsource more so the cuts weren't as bad-

Sorry, things will always change- but I wouldn't fly for delta for two reasons- you know what kind if opportunistic mgmt you have, and what sellouts you have in your union-

How's this choice GL- I chose not to fly one more leg for a legacy and much prefer a 6 leg day working for swa and Swapa than anything I experienced at my sellout legacy.

You rail on choice- well choices have consequences and the choices both mgmt and DALPA have made would not allow me to look in the mirror-

To each his own though yes voter-

When are those CRJ-1000's going to skywest?

This discussion is unbecoming of the fine pilots at both Delta and Southwest.

Did you expect something else? It's flightinfo...home of the "unit" measurement society.

Both Delta and Southwest pilots should be happy they are able to sustain an excellent QOL regardless what the name says on the side of the jet. We're all pilots and supposedly professionals. It be nice to support one another, but it's too easy to sling mud around, anonymously, from our keyboards. I wonder if the IT guys from IBM an HP or doctors from different universities lambaste each other like this on industry forums? It's like a high school parking lot Ford vs Chevy debate, but more ridiculous.

Did you expect something else? It's flightinfo...home of the "unit" measurement society.

Both Delta and Southwest pilots should be happy they are able to sustain an excellent QOL regardless what the name says on the side of the jet. We're all pilots and supposedly professionals. It be nice to support one another, but it's too easy to sling mud around, anonymously, from our keyboards. I wonder if the IT guys from IBM an HP or doctors from different universities lambaste each other like this on industry forums? It's like a high school parking lot Ford vs Chevy debate, but more ridiculous.

No, because the real corporate world is a merit based system that does not have the protection of seniority and M/b. So no one cares. It is all based off performance. Shizz or get of the pot. ;)

Sorry, things will always change- but I wouldn't fly for delta for two reasons- you know what kind if opportunistic mgmt you have, and what sellouts you have in your union-

You could replace "delta" with ANY airline name there...

There may be plenty if pilots thinking about applying or jumping ship from a LCC. These discussions have merrit because it makes people think about choices in career and life. The Corndogs get very defensive because they really enjoyed being "the darlings of the industry" after the fall of the legacies after 9-11. Before 9-11 there were SWA Capts leaving for UAL, which obviously didn't work out well for them. Their recent AT merger has thrown a stick into their "family" attitude, and the lack of retirements there, compared to the remaining legacies, has created stagnation, and many of the junior pilots there may very well be looking for better opportunities. It drives the Corndogs crazy that their once enviable position may be challenged, hence all of their responses. Sure, this industry runs on cycles, but cutting the legacies to just 3 total ensures more stability compared to the past, which is something pilots do want.

Consolidation just might be the key. Throw in huge retirements numbers, and people will be looking. And it is good to discuss differences on this board. I still think SWA is a great airline with great pay. But, the legacies are catching up, and they bring along faster upward movement and variety in planes and routes. When the pay catches up to SWA, that will be tough to ignore for many.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I just point out differences. The pay used to be the main difference SWA pilots pointed out, but that is quickly changing. If people are thinking of possibly jumping ship or applying to an airline, they may want to know about differences. Some people may not want to do multiple leg days for 30 years. It might be ok now while at a regional, but not as they grow older. I don't mind keeping it civil, though. I try.

Bye Bye---General Lee

And then bid a different plane, and that.....goes....away...

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'll just tell that to my 13-year seniority dal neighbor. I doubt he can afford to make $140/hour, however as a 767 FO. At least as a juuuuunior ca, he's making $70 grand a year year less than his counterpart at SWA who can afford to have his wife stay at home.
Have fun working until 75 (your wife hopes).

One comment: I hope you reallly don't believe you are immune to either.

Latest resources

Back