• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

709 RIDE??? insight please!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The original post was back in July of 2007. I think he has taken it by now. I would like to hear an update of how it went personally.

It's a 709 ride. I took one, no big deal if you're prepared for it.

I was a CFI at the time and I prepared a very detailed lesson plan on the action that got me the ride in the first place. I spent about an hour explaining the pre-flight procedures on a single engine trainer and did my best to bore the inspector to tears showing him that I knew what I was doing and that I could convey that knowledge to students.

It worked, the ride was over and we never even left the ground.

I can't come up with as "intelligent" a response as atlcrashpad did. But, this site does have a search function. I typed in 44709 and found one of my answers to the same question....

The term 609 was part of the FAA Act of 1958. The Airman Re-examination section was in Section 609 of the act. It became a “609 ride”. The Act of 1958 was incorporated into the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). The Airman Re-examination section is now under section 44709 of the code. Thus the new “709 ride”. Same examination, it’s just a new number. There was no 44609.

If you read the below references, the examination can be called for if there is a “Question of Competency”. Any time there is an incident/accident with an unanswered question on what happened, there is the unanswered “Question of Competency” of the flight crew. So Section
44709 is required.

How in-depth the re-examination will be is up to the inspector. Some 709s are just knowledge tests (orals), some are flight tests, and some are both. It will be spelled out in the letter you will receive.

The exam can be a few questions, or it will be like you never had the certificate in the first place. It can depend on how you conduct yourself, so behave yourself.

In short it is a re-examination of all or part of you certificate (read the letter you received).

I recommend you be professional, positive, and go to the exam with the attitude that the experience is part of the certificate. Like life in general, do your research, KNOW THE PROCESS!!!, be well prepared, and demonstrate how good an airman you are.

This is a copy of the US Code on Re-examination of an Airman. Any Certificate Holder (Airman, Flight Engineer, Dispatcher, Repair Station, or Airline) can be re-examined at any time, period.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/49/44709.html

A guy I taught to fly balled up his tailwheel kitfox doing a wheel landing with a tailwind. His 709 ride consisted of 3 landings and an oral that didn't last one cup of coffee.

A guy I taught to fly balled up his tailwheel kitfox doing a wheel landing with a tailwind. His 709 ride consisted of 3 landings and an oral that didn't last one cup of coffee.
I have a sneaking suspicion that my FSDO doesn't have anybody who can (or is willing to) give a 709 ride in a taildragger...

I have a sneaking suspicion that my FSDO doesn't have anybody who can (or is willing to) give a 709 ride in a taildragger...

For the most part every FSDO has a Tailwheel qualified Inspector. That is depending on current staffing/retirements. All G/A Ops Inspectors are qualified in tail wheel aircraft as part of their FAA training to become a G/A Inspector. Giving a 44709 ride is part of the job.

My question would be: Why do you think they would not give a 44709 in a tail wheel aircraft?

Latest resources

Back