• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

700/100 Can I go anywhere?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have heard that flight instructing is a great way to build time. Traditionally, you would fly with and teach other people how to fly. After several years you could apply to a reputable regional

The awesome part is you get to log the time as does your student!!!

It will teach aeronautical decision making, as well as fundamental flying skills you will use at your first regional when you have many more hours and lots of good experience.

Don't try and jump into a jet with no experience AT ALL!! Your captains don't want to hold your hand. They are DONE instructing

To pilots with 500 hours TT and SJS......... SLOW DOWN!!!

I heard that. Im planning on the traditional get those 135 mins, fly night freight, then hopefully a good corporate gig. Sure I could send my resume out to those regionals but why in hell would I wanna do that? I think when you are desperately low on hours and need to feed the passion then we low timers start looking for whomever will hire us. I've learned to be patient and look for a good job, not any job.

Please stay out of airlines until you actually have time that will make you less of a handicap for us Captains. Whatever happened to actually earning something. These low time FO's are downright scary and they dont pay Captains enough to babysit as well. I saw one child who not only walked around with his highschool backpack but the thing had a little stuffed animal hanging from it. Oh yeah I am sure passengers get all warm and fuzzy knowing that junior will be at the controls. Airlines should have at least 135 minimums but would be better with complete ATP minimums. Flying around the patch just isnt operational flying and most of these guys who fly in florida freak out when they fly near mountains or the tricky weather in northeast. I flew with one FNG who had .8 hours of actual. He literally froze up during an approach and he wasnt even the one flying.

BenderGonzales said:
How about RamAir Cargo? FlightExpress? Maybe a little time in actual IFR learning to work the system, decision making, and even scaring yourself once or twice would make you a more valuable F/O when you do make the transition to the airline world.

Just my opinion.

A perfectly valid post. I don't disagree. However it must be mentioned that every low time CFI (inlc. myself) is trying to put it in for an airline the moment they hit some minimums. By the time he will get that valuable experience flying cargo he will lose 1, 2 even 3 hundred numbers and will end up applying for the exact same job one year later (assuming that the job will still be there). IMHO if one can get hired, he should do it the sooner the better. The longer you wait the harder it is financially. To make 1st year FO pay as a CFI you need to live on the airport 24/7. Cargo for a low timer is not much better as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hi!

Trans States Airlines.

CLiff
YIP

Hey EngineOut, how long ago did you apply to Scenic? I heard that it takes a couple of months for them to get back to you.

try Scenic

mins are 600 / 50

it's 121 multi turbine (DHC-6) and they're growing quickly, also have BE-1900's for "regional" service

Latest resources

Back