7 to 10 737's at FREEDUM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Project "ROAM"

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=pr...tp://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03288/231212.stm

http://www.nepanews.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10317381&BRD=2212&PAG=461&dept_id=465812&rfi=6

From JO's mouth,

http://www.atwonline.com/archives/news/archive_news_mar0104.cfm#March 02, 2004

So you want to start a discount carrier out of PIT and don't have enough capital for shiny new 737-700s?

Come on down to JO's used plane lot.

We've got 737-300s in the desert, good as new.

Hell, we'll throw the employees in the deal for a few bucks more.

Just a guess

Get ready to watch wages further plummet... For all of the junior pilots out there hoping to make $150-200K someday as a major pilot, forget it................. You can thank JO and Siegel for that!

I am not disputing JO's business practices. His business tactics may even border the unethical but still be fully legal. On the other hand the man is creating jobs, not taking them away which would be far worse. If Mesa sucks don't work there, if the pay sucks, dont work there. Don't blame JO for creating a new airline undercutting everyone else in pay. People have a choice to fly for that wage or not.
After all we all live in a country embracing the wonders of capitalism. It can be good, it can be bad. Just be glad you are not flying for a Hong Kong airline. In HK unions are not allowed. THAT would suck!

"On the other hand the man is creating jobs, not taking them away which would be far worse. "

The above statement is an example of the shortsighted perspective that is causing the problem with our industry. Creating a job, any job, regardless of the pay and workrules is NOT the answer. Thousands of pilots went on strike and thousands others negotiated in unity to rid the industry of "b" scales and other below standard work rules.

Getting thrown the keys to a used 73 and working for nothing is not a step in the right direction.

Just curious, have there been any discussions regarding pay or does your current contract even have a seat limit (i.e. 45-50 seat, 70 and above...)If you guys haven't started talking please reallize that you are not in the same situation as USA. Don't set the standard lower by trying to achieve some market share. A dozen 73's will not dent any other airline's plans in any market.

If you guys get real pay and benefits then congrats are in order. If not, tell JO to go away. If your current contract does not have rates for this aircraft then you have a significant amount of bargaining power.

TheInsider said:
I am not disputing JO's business practices. His business tactics may even border the unethical but still be fully legal. On the other hand the man is creating jobs, not taking them away which would be far worse. If Mesa sucks don't work there, if the pay sucks, dont work there. Don't blame JO for creating a new airline undercutting everyone else in pay. People have a choice to fly for that wage or not.
After all we all live in a country embracing the wonders of capitalism. It can be good, it can be bad. Just be glad you are not flying for a Hong Kong airline. In HK unions are not allowed. THAT would suck!

Dude what do you smoke?

If he creates jobs at a lower price structure it TAKES AWAY JOBS from another sector, ie Airways or someone else.

Theinsider,

Why don't we just outsource the pilot jobs to Indian pilots who would love to fly the airplanes for $10 an hour?

Sure, that can't and won't happen, but do you get my point? Let's keep on lowering the bar more and more and then any "good" wages will be gone for the industry. Flying will become more of a commodity job. How many people spend tens of thousands of dollars learning and qualifying for airline pilot positions and then end up with a serious debt problem because they don't earn enough? Not everyone is military trained - especially those pilots flying for MESA (many have unfortunately paid for their expensive training).

Ornstein, by the way, loves to hear your justifications. Keep on adding fuel to the fire...

Here's the problem -

Suppose I was furloughed.

Suppose I needed to get current again.

Suppose they hire me, and I fly for them lg nough to quit and o get a better job.

Why not?

Should I let some PFT'er come in and take the job, and let them get ahead of me after paying my dues al these years?

We can shake our tiny fist at the rain and the tide all we like, but supply and demand are elemental forces of human nature.

There will lways be SOMEONE who will take the job.

Let's look at this race to the bottom:

Suppose Mesa offers pilots $12/hr for 737 CA and $8/hr for FO's.

How many takers would we see? Only low timers or people in need of some quick jet time.

The race can only go so far. It will go until the laws of supply and demand are satisfied.

Before Deregulation, an artificial constraint existed in the market- a limited number of airlines could compete for flying. This meant that the airline's pilot groups had more leverage in negotiations. There were no RJ's, and nothing like the current CMR/DAL scenario.

The floodgates have been opened. I don't like it either. We must FACE THE FACT that the enemy is not who we think it is.

We keep blaming the pilots who willeing to work for Mesa wages.

If you had 500hrs and could go fly a turbine aircraft, wouldn't you? Especially if the rest of the industry looked so bleak? At least you would be logging time until things picked up and you could move on to a better job.

100LL... Again! said:
Here's the problem -

Suppose I was furloughed.

Suppose I needed to get current again.

Suppose they hire me, and I fly for them lg nough to quit and o get a better job.

Why not?

Should I let some PFT'er come in and take the job, and let them get ahead of me after paying my dues al these years?

We can shake our tiny fist at the rain and the tide all we like, but supply and demand are elemental forces of human nature.

There will lways be SOMEONE who will take the job.

Let's look at this race to the bottom:

Suppose Mesa offers pilots $12/hr for 737 CA and $8/hr for FO's.

How many takers would we see? Only low timers or people in need of some quick jet time.

The race can only go so far. It will go until the laws of supply and demand are satisfied.

Before Deregulation, an artificial constraint existed in the market- a limited number of airlines could compete for flying. This meant that the airline's pilot groups had more leverage in negotiations. There were no RJ's, and nothing like the current CMR/DAL scenario.

The floodgates have been opened. I don't like it either. We must FACE THE FACT that the enemy is not who we think it is.

We keep blaming the pilots who willeing to work for Mesa wages.

If you had 500hrs and could go fly a turbine aircraft, wouldn't you? Especially if the rest of the industry looked so bleak? At least you would be logging time until things picked up and you could move on to a better job.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You can't beat the forces of the market (especially in todays environment) you can only hope to slow it.

It is now easier for the average Joe to become an airline pilot. And there are plenty of flight schools out there willing to take students money. And plenty of students out there willing to sacrifice to get their "perceived" peace of the pie.

supply and demand. It sucks. but thats how it works. don't know if there is an answer.

but don't let this bit of logic get in the way of some more anonymous slamming, flaming, my dad could beat up your dad, chat board bashing!!

So let me see if I get this straight.

USairway pilot furloughed out of the 737 making 100K+. Works at Home Depot, then gets called back to fly the same 737 under J4J within the Freedom cert. for ~30K.

I'm going to get my real estate license because this is getting ridiculous!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back