7 to 10 737's at FREEDUM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

big dog1

A J4J Pilot getting a checkride out in PHX was told face to face by Ken Mayfield that the 737 was a go, in fact one had already been acquired and was being fixed up at an airport in AZ (not PHX).

Ken said 7 to 10 737's to be based in PIT and operated under the Freedom Certificate. Seems Mesa thinks Airways pulled out so much flying that there's an opportunity in that market.

Also, a J4J Pilot who worked in the 737 training department at Airways was offered a job in PHX helping to put a 737 CFM together.

After 15 years in this industry I've seen more rumors than I can count, but I think this one is past the point of being a rumor.

What I don't understand is how these 737's will be allowed under the various scope clauses

Freedom is a separate certificate from Mesa Air. Mesa flies for US Airways and United. If Freedom does not, then Freedom is not affected by US Airways and United scope, even if Freedom is owned by Mesa.

Scope is generally on a certificate basis, because an airline is defined by a certificate.

If it was the case why does ACA just place there dojets ACAjet certificate? That was bought back from Delta. Then they would be able to do independence air and fly on the delta side?

ACA allowed the ACJet Certificate to expire.

New FAA interpretation: use it or loose it.

here it comes......

I'm not a "raise/lower the bar" Preacher but, I can see the whole discussion firing up again.

Personally, I don't think that 737's belong at Freedom or under the mesa umbrella or at ANY 'regional'. But, then again I'm not running an airline.

Lazy8s

I would still put all this in the rumor category.

Even with this so called "confirmation" the details still contradict all kinds of other things I've heard.

- the first 737 was in PHX. Now it is in an undisclosed airport in AZ not PHX hmmm...

- the CFM is already written and ready. Now they're hiring J4J guy to start writing it.

- there still isn't any official company word (besides ornsteins little tidbit in an article).

- no official union word about rate negotiations for this supposed summerstart up.

- Mesa to compete directly against it's own codeshare partner in one of it's hubs. At the same time, providing RJ feed for that partner.

I'm still sticking with my original analysis that ornstein is helping Siegal scare the U labor groups into more concessions.

The Mesa pilots' idea of $100/hr to fly a 737 is probably $70 for the CA and $30 for the FO. You guys have that ironclad scope that you sold out the entire small jet industry to get. Now have some cojones and tell Ornstein SWA pay or he can ride one of his 15 motorcycles off a cliff!

Even $100/hour would be a joke for a 737 captain considering their work rules, schedules, and retirement. But I sure as heck wouldn't put it past Mesa to gladly accept it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back