Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

6000 Hours in Jet required to fly Premier???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fandango said:
It would be nice if everyone required some decent time to get a flying job. 6k might be a little much, but not much. Don't mean to rant, I'm just tired of running across the low time guys that have no business being in the seat their in. You cannot replace TT. There is no "conversion factor" for it. I wouldn't want to let a doctor operate on me that only had to do 1/4 the work and experience that others did because he could check a couple of extra boxes.

Wether it be lower mins for mil, quotas, or even preference for degrees, I wouldn't mind seeing this shift.

Please dont slam me and say I only think that because I have my time, pull the ladder up...nothing is further from the truth. Even when I was low time, I was disappointed that things like CFI's didn't need 1000 plus for rating.

Would be a nice change, IMHO.

Thing is, this guy is looking for 6000 JET time, not TT. If that is the case you probably do not qualify either Fandango. If your 10k is like my 9k TT there is a lot of piston and turboprop mixed in it. I would probably come up about 1000k short of their "mins" for the F/O.

Considering that you can get covered easily for single pilot in a Premier, or any other light jet with SP status with 5000TT and 500jet and still have pretty high liability coverage, 6000 jet is way way above what it should be, Unless of course they are paying 120k a year to start in the right seat of a singlr pilot airplane!

6000 jet is f-ing ridiculous. Right seat in a single pilot airplane? And one I've not heard good things about anyway! Have fun finding some joker to do THAT job.

Fandango,

I am not suggesting that a 250 hour wet ticket COMM/INST/ME be turned loose in a G-IV, but to even suggest that TT is the key to being qualified for a job is irresponsible.

fandango said:
It would be nice if everyone required some decent time to get a flying job. 6k might be a little much, but not much. Don't mean to rant,

What is decent time? Tell these Low rent bottom-feeders to start paying "decent" money, and they'd attract a different type of pilot with "decent" TT. At 28K (no Benefits) to fly some crap Falcon 20 that has not seen a wrench in years or Lear 24 with a drunk for a boss and CP, they ARE in fact getting a decent time guy with 1200 hours. That same job at or above NBAA standards would net you a pilot who employs good judgement, has several thousand hours and experience.

fandango said:
I'm just tired of running across the low time guys that have no business being in the seat their in.
I didn't realize that it was up to you to determine who does and does not have any business being in either seat of an aircraft.

fandango said:
You cannot replace TT. There is no "conversion factor" for it. I wouldn't want to let a doctor operate on me that only had to do 1/4 the work and experience that others did because he could check a couple of extra boxes.
TT does not = experience. Skill and the ability to make sound judgements trump TT. I have flown with low guys that have less than 1000 hours that could fly circle around guys iwth thousands of hours more and I have flown with high TT guys and they had their hands full. I flew with a guy out of the Dallas area that was a DA20 Captain then a H25B captain. He had several thousands of hours, and though he was a OK pilot, he made extremely poor decisions. (Filing for FL350 on a 250 NM trip, always taking no for an answer regardless of the situation, doing dangerous things due to a weak grasp of the aircraft systems). I would not have put my family on a plane with him and I was the guy with least amount of time between the 2 of us, and I had to babysit him!

fandango said:
Wether it be lower mins for mil, quotas, or even preference for degrees, I wouldn't mind seeing this shift. Please dont slam me and say I only think that because I have my time, pull the ladder up...nothing is further from the truth. Even when I was low time, I was disappointed that things like CFI's didn't need 1000 plus for rating. Would be a nice change, IMHO.
How would anyone gain experience or get flight time doing what you suggest? I agree, it would be nice to have a 3ooo hour CFI like you found in the early '90s, but those days are long gone and current day CFIs seem to be getting the job done.

English said:
It's the typical play, guys...if someone you really don't like keeps asking you to hire them, you just make up imaginary minimums that you know the applicant can't meet, to get out of having to say you don't want to hire the person because you think they are a jerk/look funny/smell funny/etc.

My moneys on what English said...

there is simply no such thing as 6000jet required for any job.

Look Dude, you don't want to fly for this guy. He is obviously a loser. Either he is lying his A#S off to you, which I suspect, or he does not know how to run a flight department as he is letting his insurance broker tell him what to do. Either way, it would not be worth what little you will gain pulling the gear up and saying nice landing all day long. I was once in your shoes, and heard the same things you are getting. BLaming it on the insurance guy is the best way to send you on your way without hurting your feelings. If he insists that he wants to hire you but he can't because of insuance, tell him you can put him in touch with a Kansas City based insurance guy that can has a proven track record for saving flight departments signifigant amounts on their annual premiums and getting things like this accomplished (you in the right seat) then see what he says. Probably another excuse. I do have a guy that could get you all squared away, but I dont want to contact him unless you are ready to move on this. Let me know how it goes.
airludy said:
Trust me this guy isnt trying to get ride of me.. He is dead serious about those times.

I cant stop laughing...6K JET??? WTF

To fly that lil Single Pilot Beech?? Still LMAO

yet the military has 300 hour pilots shooting missilses off of a single pilot jet capable of mach2+... but im sure they don't deserve it b/c of their low time... :rolleyes:

CAVOK69 said:
yet the military has 300 hour pilots shooting missilses off of a single pilot jet capable of mach2+... but im sure they don't deserve it b/c of their low time... :rolleyes:

Yea and they have the highest accident rate of any catergory. That is per hour flying.

Latest resources

Back