(6) BE-1900D CA slots in Africa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You could make 30k at regions and not get AIDS or be murdered

I didn't realize you could get aids by simply working in Africa. I thought you got it as a result of exchanging bodily fluids, usually through unprotected sex or sharing needles from infected people. I have been out of the loop for a long time though.

We had a guy leave Regions to go to Africa to fly a JBall..

He came back after 14 year old kids with Ak-47's were making him top off the tanks and then cramming the plane full of people..

or so I heard...

Anyway, I know he only lasted about 2 months there..

I didn't realize you could get aids by simply working in Africa. I thought you got it as a result of exchanging bodily fluids, usually through unprotected sex or sharing needles from infected people. I have been out of the loop for a long time though.

All of the above actions can happen to you at any local hospital or dispensary in sub-Saharan Africa. Fact is, if you are in an auto accident, pedestrian accident, are robbed and mugged or shot by 14 yr olds with AK-47s...whatever you may need to go to hospital for, be very careful. And yes, they will shoot. They could care less about you and more for your Casio watch. Don't wear your favorite stuff in public. It will go missing.

I carried my own pharm pack with meds in my flight bag; needles, antibotics, sulfa-drugs, and anti-malarial drugs, along with latex gloves...and a roll of TP.

White westerners - expats, stand out in a crowd. You will be scrutinized by the nationals. You will be a target in public areas. Make sure you know what your getting into. Many of the airports resemble the bar scene in the orginal Star Wars Episode IV. If you can...carry your "blaster." :)

T8

White westerners - expats, stand out in a crowd. You will be scrutinized by the nationals. You will be a target in public areas. Make sure you know what your getting into. Many of the airports resemble the bar scene in the orginal Star Wars Episode IV. If you can...carry your "blaster." :)

T8

Re-read that and though, uh-oh...that could sound very "racial." Not intended to be that way and I apologize if it seems insensative. Fact is, as a white guy living in the Equatorial regions of Africa, I am a minority--big time. Some of the places I traveled had never seen a white man before or in a few cases...an airplane. I was respected as a pilot and often treated as a novelty. In the city, I was overcharged and expected to pay bribes for normal services that often required standard base public service charges. I was detained in Uganda for not bribing an airport official over the issue of landing fees. Standard fair for ex-pats in aviation on the Continent at large.

Enjoy....it will change your life.

T8

Looks like they are also looking to fill PIC/SIC slots on KA200's in afghanistan also. Anyone know what kind of flying they are doing? Is it medical ops or just cargo?

No, but there is malaria, several forms of hepatitus, typhoid, turberculosis, numerous varieties of hemmoragic fevers, and more parasites in the water and food than you can shake a stick at (including the one that causes trypanosomiasis), as well as flukes (roundworms) that can bore right through unprotected skin and cyst in your muscle tissue.

I take a pass on that trip...

Nu

Latest resources

Back