• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

525A Only Pilot Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I met a guy on the road that flew the CJ as an SIC and he said FSI wouldn't type him as he was 50 hours short of 1000 hours. However, I later heard he had a lot of problems in training, and that's why they wouldn't type him.

I'm pretty sure you can get the straight 525 (crew) type with your flight time. It's the 525s (single pilot) type they'll likely hesitate on.

CJ Type

Mates,

I can assure you (from past experience) FlightSafety, SimuFlite or PanAm will type you in any airplane they train "IF" you perform in accordance with the FAR 142 training program and the Practical Test Guide for the rating you seek. There is no pre-requisite experience other than holding a commercial certificate with an airplane multi-engine class rating.

Oh, I forgot, there is one pre-requisite, $$$ for the course.

TransMach

English said:
My belief is that you get it when you come in, or you won't ever get it.

Just my .02.
English is absolutely right, if you don't negotiate a fair package in the beginning, you can't expect big pay raises in the future to get you there. Just does not happen in my experience with part 91 corporate. Don't let owners/management make you feel as if they are doing you a favor just by hiring you, hold out for industry standard or keep looking. Good luck, hope it works out for you. CJ2 is a good airplane.

English said:
I met a guy on the road that flew the CJ as an SIC and he said FSI wouldn't type him as he was 50 hours short of 1000 hours. However, I later heard he had a lot of problems in training, and that's why they wouldn't type him.

I'm pretty sure you can get the straight 525 (crew) type with your flight time. It's the 525s (single pilot) type they'll likely hesitate on.

The other question the chief pilot had here was if I could be typed in the sim. He thought if you had low time you might have to take a checkride in the actual plane. He wasn't sure though.

English, so you're saying if I do fine in training, FSI wouldn't have a problem typing me? I think before they send me there I'll have around 50 hours sitting right seat. I've done 8 thus far and have learned a ton and I know the learning won't stop. Fun airplane!!

Thanks for all the replies

Type Rating in a Sim

If the simulator is Level D, anyone can complete the type rating in the sim. If it's a Level C, you need to have a type rating in a similar category/class or 500 hours in type. In a Level B, everyone has to fly the airplane.

The CJ airplanes are so new, I doubt any of the simulators are less than Level D.

TransMach

well i already took the job. I was told that first year pay was just that, first year and to expect good bonuses.... It is around 60K w/out bennies. and its s.p.

If I remember correctly FSI still has a 1000 requirement for types, SIC training can be done with lower times.

FSI will train you for the type rating unless you are near dead, they just want the money.

If you don't have certain time and/or previous rating requirements set forth in the FAR you will have a limitation put on your license. This happened to me when I went for my initial Excel type. I had to fly 25 hours with a Captain before I could be let go as "unsupervised" PIC. Needless to say, after the 25 hours the company didn't let me be "unsupervised" PIC anyway with 2000 or so hours!

The least restrictive requirement to not have that restriction is 500 hours in any type ( the particular plane doesn't have to require a "type" rating, e.g. a king air 200 or 90 is fine) of turbine powered aircraft of the same category/class( might be making the cat./class up...go read the reg yourself). Or you have to already have a type rating in a Jet.

In a nutshell, as long as you can fake your way (meet the minimum requirements) through the checkride FSI will give you the type. From the information you have given you will have one of the two limitations applied to your type until you meet its' individual requirements....again, go look it up under FAR 61.

Now I need to go to bed!

Sphrynxlla said:
well i already took the job. I was told that first year pay was just that, first year and to expect good bonuses.... It is around 60K w/out bennies. and its s.p.

Good luck and congrats on the new job.

I don't mean to rain on your parade (and I won't) but 60 K is low for a CJ2 captain. Especially low when you consider you are also the aircraft manager. 60K is industry average for a straight CJ captain, part 135 with no management duties. Benefits included. You are doing the same job in a larger aircraft with no benefits for less money.

Use this opportunity to learn new skills and move on to an appropriately-paid position. After a year in this position you'll be much more marketable and can demand a fairer wage. They are taking advantage of you, so you might as well take advantage of them (learn as much as you can and keep the resumes out there in case they don't follow through on their promises to expect bonuses).

I speak from experience. TRUST ME ON THIS. I've been taken advantage of plenty but have since learned my lesson.

English said:
I speak from experience. TRUST ME ON THIS. I've been taken advantage of plenty but have since learned my lesson.

Pehaps you should not spend so much time at El Squid Roe!:p

Latest resources

Back