Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

diggertwo

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=528

1. Go 141 – If you are starting out from scratch, consider a Part 141 flight school. You can complete your commercial rating in 190 hours vs the 250 hours you would need if you were to train in a regular Part 61 school. The difference is in the curriculum. The FAA has determined that the regimented syllabus approach provided by a 190 hour Part 141 school will produce the same quality of pilot that 250 hours of Part 61 training generates.

2. Comm. AMEL first- By getting your Commercial Multi-Engine Land rating first, you save by not having to need to check out in and rent a complex single for the checkride. After you have your commercial, you can take the add-on in any single out there, complex or not, even a Cessna 152, if you want.

3. Get MS flight simulator- This may sound crazy, but the flight simulator software out there for years has been a great way to get exposure to the mechanics of your instrument rating. You don’t need to be in a full motion simulator or even a Frasca to see how to enter a hold or join an airway from a vector. Get comfortable flying a $20 computer simulator, then go to your flight school.

4. Pay cash – If you have the option, offering to pay cash for your flight training could save you and the flight school some money. Credit card transactions typically cost the merchant 2-3% and you can explain that the flight school would actually make more money from you if they can offer you a cash discount.

5. Negotiate - This may or may not work, but you can try. Flight schools want a steady cash flow, so if you can make arrangements to pay up front you can possibly have some of the rental rates reduced. Beware, though, commiting too much money just in case your flight school happens to be hurting more than you think and shuts down before your funds run out.

Skip ERAU/UND and other brand name schools....

Go to community college for two years then transfer to an in state university..... Find an air line pilot who loves to teach at 141 school....

http://www.pilotbug.com/?p=528

1. Go 141 – If you are starting out from scratch, consider a Part 141 flight school. You can complete your commercial rating in 190 hours vs the 250 hours you would need if you were to train in a regular Part 61 school. The difference is in the curriculum. The FAA has determined that the regimented syllabus approach provided by a 190 hour Part 141 school will produce the same quality of pilot that 250 hours of Part 61 training generates.

2. Comm. AMEL first- By getting your Commercial Multi-Engine Land rating first, you save by not having to need to check out in and rent a complex single for the checkride. After you have your commercial, you can take the add-on in any single out there, complex or not, even a Cessna 152, if you want.

3. Get MS flight simulator- This may sound crazy, but the flight simulator software out there for years has been a great way to get exposure to the mechanics of your instrument rating. You don’t need to be in a full motion simulator or even a Frasca to see how to enter a hold or join an airway from a vector. Get comfortable flying a $20 computer simulator, then go to your flight school.

4. Pay cash – If you have the option, offering to pay cash for your flight training could save you and the flight school some money. Credit card transactions typically cost the merchant 2-3% and you can explain that the flight school would actually make more money from you if they can offer you a cash discount.

5. Negotiate - This may or may not work, but you can try. Flight schools want a steady cash flow, so if you can make arrangements to pay up front you can possibly have some of the rental rates reduced. Beware, though, commiting too much money just in case your flight school happens to be hurting more than you think and shuts down before your funds run out.

1. Become a doctor– Get money and own your own plane

2. Become a Lawyer- Get money and own your own plane

3. Marry a Doctor- Get money and own your own plane

4. Marry a Lawyer– Get money and own your own plane

5. Win the Lottery - Get money and own your own plane

If you wanna make a million bucks in aviation, start with 2 million.

My Pt. 141 tuition cost way more than going the 61 route. I received my first half of training by going 141 and finished the rest 61. Not only did I save money, but I have so much more experience than any of my 141 friends. I couldn't disagree with you more OP.

You still get what you paid for...

Go cheap - get cheap

Buy knowledge and work on your ability. A certificate is just a small piece of plastic. You are betting your life that you can back up the claim that you are a pilot.

1. Become a doctor– Get money and own your own plane

2. Become a Lawyer- Get money and own your own plane

3. Marry a Doctor- Get money and own your own plane

4. Marry a Lawyer– Get money and own your own plane

5. Win the Lottery - Get money and own your own plane

If you wanna make a million bucks in aviation, start with 2 million.

How do you think you would have reacted if someone tried to talk you out of aviation when you were younger, told you to just forget it and go be a doc or a lawyer (I know it was different back then)...But you woulda told them to go piss off.......Plus you gotta have some sort of a desire to enter the medical or law field, not just something you do for lack of a better idea because someone told you that you are guaranteed a good life if you do....Those 2 career fields are full of divorces and broken homes just like pilots are....

But I can agree with marrying a doctor or lawyer!......Let them go through all the extra school!!

How do you think you would have reacted if someone tried to talk you out of aviation when you were younger, told you to just forget it and go be a doc or a lawyer (I know it was different back then)...But you woulda told them to go piss off.......Plus you gotta have some sort of a desire to enter the medical or law field, not just something you do for lack of a better idea because someone told you that you are guaranteed a good life if you do....Those 2 career fields are full of divorces and broken homes just like pilots are....

But I can agree with marrying a doctor or lawyer!......Let them go through all the extra school!!

obviously id feel bad, otherwise i wouldnt've went this route. All I did was answer the question.

Latest resources

Back