Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
Just finished watching "Airport '75" (yeah, I'm bored) and found one particular line interesting. A pax was complaining about his snack.

"$464 for a ticket and I get stale nuts!!"

This was made in 1975

Care to guess what the ticket costs now?......................................... $134.00 on Delta w/no advance pricing.

I had forgotten how much tickets were in the 70's

Adjusted for inflation through 2008, that's $1837. And then deregulation happened and here we are.

Adjusted for inflation through 2008, that's $1837. And then deregulation happened and here we are.

This is not directed at you. If you are working for a regional and uneducated, then you probably would not be an airline pilot had it not been for deregulation.

This is not directed at you. If you are working for a regional and uneducated, then you probably would not be an airline pilot had it not been for deregulation.

I'm not but that's a true statement. There are a heck of a lot more pilot jobs now than then. But they're worth a lot less too.

Just finished watching "Airport '75" (yeah, I'm bored) and found one particular line interesting. A pax was complaining about his snack.

"$464 for a ticket and I get stale nuts!!"

This was made in 1975

Care to guess what the ticket costs now?......................................... $134.00 on Delta w/no advance pricing.

I had forgotten how much tickets were in the 70's

For $134.00 on Delta you also get the same flight attendant from 1975.

I know that it's popular to complain about falling ticket prices, but I'm not sure the data backs up the emotion. Dig around this website and you'll see that fares have risen steadily over the past 14 years (in spite of a sharp decline right after 9/11):

http://www.bts.gov/xml/atpi/src/index.xml

These statistics only show data going back to 1995. In 1957 my mother earned enough at Woolworth's in 2-weeks (as a high school student earning minimum wage) to make it worthwhile to delay her trip to the Alaska Territory and buy a plane ticket LA to Seattle to join her mother & sister en-route (they were driving). The following year she and her best friend bought $10 round trip plane tickets between Miami and Havana during their post-graduation cross country trip together (that's less than $75 in today's dollars).

I understand that the AVERAGE ticket price seems much lower today than we think it should be, but I suspect that may be because the 3-passengers who each paid $3600 for the last minute walk-up fare aren't there anymore rather than the other 90-people on the flight somehow paying $120 less each (because the statistics show that they're paying more, not less).

For $134.00 on Delta you also get the same flight attendant from 1975.

More than likely a little wider and a whole lot more pissed off......

Latest resources

Back