• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

446th Airlift Wing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually I'm more interest in how difficult it is to get picked up? How many boards do they have a year and is bumming possible? Thanks

Currently active duty orders are available to all pilots and loadmasters. Pay is very good and tax free for those on orders. We have several major airline pilots who take long term orders because they can make more money and be home more flying in the Reserves.

If you take long term active duty orders in the C-17 you would be expected to fly one two week stage every month. Stage input experiences vary from constantly getting your nuts kicked in and flying your butt off, to deadheading everywhere and coming home with less than ten hours. In almost every case it will be a painful and tiring experience though. Comraderie is very good. Generally the guys and gals you fly with are fun and interesting people and will become some of your best friends.

Bumming is a possibility, but you take a paycut in order to have better trips and more control over your schedule.

Contact the chief pilot of each squadron for hiring info. As a rule of thumb, they will hire one UPT candidate per year, possibly two if manning dictates and they need to fill slots.

From my experience with the Air Force Reserve getting hired requires being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people and saying the right things. It takes a lot of hard work and some luck as each C.P has stacks of applications on his/her desk. But if I can do it anybody can!

Best wishes

Thanks are you in the unit? Wouldn't most airline pilots be making more at the airlines then full time in the mil?

psysicx said:
Thanks are you in the unit? Wouldn't most airline pilots be making more at the airlines then full time in the mil?

No...not for guys with less than 10 years or so at their airline.

I know that the Dal pilots wouldn't no offense. Just the lucky Fedex and UPS pilots. Oh and SWA.

Last edited:
psysicx said:
Actually I'm more interest in how difficult it is to get picked up? How many boards do they have a year and is bumming possible? Thanks

Why... you actually gonna apply? Not worried about QOL? Troll... go infect baseops.net.

SIG600 said:
Why... you actually gonna apply? Not worried about QOL? Troll... go infect baseops.net.

HAHA -- what's wrong with BaseOps? I've actually never seen him on there (at least, not by the name is uses here...)

Latest resources

Back