Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

43 People Lucky to be Alive After Pinnacle Flight Declares Emergency...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=4299238&nav=8fap

Forty-Three people are safe tonight after a passenger airplane makes an emergency landing in Columbus. The Northwest Airlines jet operated by Pinnacle Airlines landed shortly after 2 P.M.

The plane was traveling from Jacksonville to Memphis, but in mid flight the captain declared in flight emergency after he was forced to reduce power to one of the planes engines. The emergency arose after a warning light on the plane indicated there was a problem with the engines oil pressure.

Immediately the captain declared an emergency and the plane diverted to the Columbus Airport. Thankfully no one was injured.

"I was scared, the poor guy next to me said I looked pretty scared," admits Elizabeth Wright who was one was one of 43 passengers and three crew members on board flight 5708. "I knew something was wrong because we never did get very high off the ground the whole flight," she says. "My wife was a little scared, but I wasn't there was no bumpiness or anything really rough," says Phil McCarty another passenger.

The captain notified passengers there was a problem and the plane began to descend. Pinnacle Airlines says it is standard procedure to decrease engine power when a warning light comes on and it is standard procedure to land at the nearest available airport.

Firefighters and other emergency crews greeted the plane. Thankfully none of their services were needed. After landing, passengers were eventually deplaned. Many spent time getting a bite to eat or getting a much needed smoke as they were told it could be a few hours before another plane would be there to take them on their way.

Passengers were eventually picked up and flown to Memphis. It was a long day for some as Memphis was not their final destination.

:eek:

After reading that harrowing story, I've never felt SO alive... :rolleyes: TC

A Squared said:
I think that was FN FAL's point, nothing but a big yawn.

Did you see the part where the passenger said that she knew something was wrong because the plane was flying so low?

Elizabeth Wright who was one was one of 43 passengers and three crew members on board flight 5708. "I knew something was wrong because we never did get very high off the ground the whole flight,"

The plane was traveling from Jacksonville to Memphis, but in mid flight the captain declared in flight emergency after he was forced to reduce power to one of the planes engines.

Wow, im lucky to be alive too then, i have had two engine failures with pax on board.....mmmmmm, where was my media attention.

reducing power on one of the engines? well that is quite the emergency! Thank god they rolled the trucks on that one! Maybe we should all start declaring emergencies for every landing, after all we do reduce the power to land. I am sure the pax really appreciate having the living crap scared out of them. Did they get into brace positions too?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back