40 Pilots charged with Medical Certificate Fraud

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
.....bump. Gotta keep the conversation going.

Ok, here goes, take your 50 caliber liquid cooled machine gun, (probably better to use a .22), "accidentally shoot yourself in the foot while "cleaning" it.

Being the accomplished ballerina dancer you are, j/k, you can still fly and collect the millions you would have got dancing, how’s that?

;)

Last edited:
TDTURBO said:
This isn't rocket science boys, you can legally be disabled and fly an airplane.

If a pilot was able to meet FAA regualtions to qualify and hold the appropriate medical certificate for the flying job that person held, then I have to agree. Suppose a pilot currently holds an ATP and flys planes for a living but worked for FedEx or UPS way back when in order to make ends meet while building experience or earning ratings but was not yet employed as a pilot. One day a ton of boxes falls on the guy and causes injuries which medically prevent this person from continuing to work for UPS or Fedex as a package handler? Now while it does prevent that person from working at Fed Ex or UPS, it might not prevent the person from piloting an airplane. Depending on the injury, such a person could qualify for disabilty benefits yet still be medically qualified to pilot a plane and thus earn a living as a professional pilot. I think there is a moral distinction to be made in that it is not soudn reasoning to be earnig a living wage in one profession while collecting disability benefits in another.

Not directly related but another example would that of a professional pilot who develops a disqualifying medical condition which the pilot immediately reports. The pilot is grounded while a battery of tests are conducted to determine if the condition is wavorable but in the end, the pilot no longer meets the FAA requirements for holding a medical certificate. In this case the pilot would not likely be able to earn a living as a professional pilot and under would then be considered 'disabled' and eligible for compensation. In effect, because the FAA has made it improbable for the pilot to earn a living flying planes, the individual would be eligible to collect disability benefits even though that individual could persue alternative means of employment within the field of aviation (or even another career field such as Fed Ex or UPS).

From the article:

"Some of the pilots apparently continued to fly even though they were receiving Social Security benefits for such illnesses as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, drug or alcohol addiction,"

Let's not try to parse these. If you are taking psychotropic drugs for any disorder, you can't fly airplanes.

If you have any extra though....call me!

TDTURBO said:
Ok, here goes, take your 50 caliber liquid cooled machine gun, (probably better to use a .22), "accidentally shoot yourself in the foot while "cleaning" it.

Being the accomplished ballerina dancer you are, j/k, you can still fly and collect the millions you would have got dancing, how’s that?

;)
Hahaha...I wish I could afford a .50 Caliber Browning or Browning clone...Since I'm not a Major Airline pilet, I have to stay down wit da trailer trash homies in subgun land. :D

Even If I could afford one of those leviathans, I couldn't afford to feed it like it should be fed. However, as part of the living room decor, it would go a long way towards promoting that Feng Shui thing I got going on.

I still would hate to be the poor SOB that broke into your house, for that matter, mine either. I have a few toys. :)

TDTURBO said:
I still would hate to be the poor SOB that broke into your house, for that matter, mine either. I have a few toys. :)
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Yank McCobb said:
Well...they let someone who was legally pronounced a jackass fly, even without a waiver, so why not?
Muhhahahaha.

If anyone cares to rehash - I don't think any of the Saudi "pilots" on 9-11 lied on their medicals. Kudos to the feds for another big-time, totally meaningless "bust."

Latest resources

Back