• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

STL717

CL-215 Lake James, NC
Pilots flew despite disqualifying illnesses, U.S. says

GOVERNMENT REVOKING CERTIFICATION
B[size=-1]y Chuck Carroll[/size]

Several Bay Area pilots are among 40 fliers who are facing federal charges in the wake of a federal investigation of those who kept serious health ailments secret from aviation regulators for fear of being grounded, the government said today.

Operation Safe Pilot, an 18-month investigation into pilots' alleged falsification of medical records required by the Federal Aviation Administration to secure airplane pilot's licenses, found that the pilots falsely claimed to be medically fit to fly an airplane.

They were caught by inspectors general from the Social Security Department and the Department of Transportation who cross-checked Social Security disability databases with Federal Aviation Administration pilot certification records and discovered that many of the pilots should have been disqualified from flying because of their medical conditions.

After reviewing the records of 40,000 Northern California pilots, the government said it brought charges against only the most egregious violators. Thirty were charged with making false statements to a government agency, while 10 were charged with making and delivering a false official writing.

Some of the pilots apparently continued to fly even though they were receiving Social Security benefits for such illnesses as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, drug or alcohol addiction, disabling back condition, or severe heart condition. A number were airline transport and commercial pilots, as well as medical doctors.

``The fraud and falsification allegedly committed by these individuals is extremely serious and adversely affects the public interest in air safety,'' Nicholas Sabatini, FAA associate administrator for aviation safety, said in a statement. The agency is in the process of revoking the medical certificates of the defendants.

Among those charged are Amy Aucutt of San Francisco, 36; Stanmore Cooper of San Francisco, 63; Arnold Dolgins of Felton, 61; and Karl Redmon of San Leandro, 40.

Last edited:
does this mean there will be some job openings?

serious question, no flame guys

As I've said here before, the Federal Agent who did my FAA background investigation last year told me that the FAA will be MUCH more vigilant and nosey about certification and licensing in the wake of 9/11. The number of enforcement actions will likely increase every year. That's why I always caution guys about so-called 'expunged' and 'minor' criminal records and about skirting the rules concerning disclosure.

I have been completely honest on my apps since my very first medical (1995) and I still got put thru the ringer. I was told that if they had found evidence of ANY attempt at dishonesty on my applications I would probably have served an active federal sentence.

They're not playing anymore guys ... do the right thing. :)

Minh

So what??? Mesaba had a Chief Pilot that forged his medical for a long time. The company did have to terminate (reluctantly, however) him.

Heyas all,

It shouldn't come as any surprise. Sign off on the medical form saying your OK, but then nick the government for disability, and you get what you ask for.

If you are going to pull a stunt like this, better make sure your trail is clean. If you are going to pull something stupid, better pay with cash, even at the toll booths.

This reminds me of those clowns who try to rip off the disability insurance, then get caught on video lifting heavy objects, on the golf course or whatever.

One thing for certain...since the FAA did pretty well on this in CA, you can bet it goes nationwide.

Nu

This isn't rocket science boys, you can legally be disabled and fly an airplane. If you lost an arm and you were a concert pianist, you would be 100% totally disabled but could certainly fly an airplane. Without going into specifics, suffice to say the government will have a tough time getting any convictions. If a rat brain cell can fly an airplane, so can a guy with a herniated disc that was surgically removed and then developed scar tissue causing lower extremity weakness and therefore permanant partial disability.

I know of an active local DE with one leg that collects disability, so what. Each case is different, it depends what the person did for a living not the injury.

These things are not black and white as the "Germans" would have you believe.

Sorry AB, I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:
.....bump. Gotta keep the conversation going.

Latest resources

Back