Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dont get me wrong, saabs a great airplane. turbine time is turbine time

shon7 said:
For those who have been flying as First Officers for more than four years with a regional --

- what lifestyle changes have you had to make?
- do you have to take on additional debt of any kind (living, housing etc.)
- anyone managed to keep a second job while flying?
-- any other tips on how to cut down on expenses

Well for one, thers not much money for entertainment. I only took on additional debt my first year as you cant live on that. After that, occasional borrowing from familt to make ends meet. Definitely a second job. I have held one the entire time I have been here.(4 years) I also am considering debt settlement or BK as well. I have not much of a life as I am either flying or at my second job. Pretty pathetic really.

Good luck

DN,

You're right turbine is turbine and I hope you get your shot.

Sorry if I was too blunt but I've heard a lot of newhires(with low tt time) talk about how they couldn't wait to get out of instructing and the truth is there is a lot to learn that will come in handy when you get to the airline job. It mostly has to do with learning how to relate to the other people you work around. A good attitude will go a long way towards making your early years at a regional a great experience both in training and on the line.

Also, venting is fine but it is a public board and students read this stuff too. If they knew which accelerated training, multiengine-rating company you worked for they may not be interested in getting trained at that company by your fellow cfi's.

Fly

Last edited:
I am sure they were joking with their comments and if you have been instructing since 1990 i am sure you know exactly how they feel. I recently left instructing to go to my first airline job, I used to feel the same way they did and i am sure every instructor past or present has felt like that. Give them a brake and pull the stick out man, they are just joking and dreaming about moving on to bigger and better things. Stop acting like you are so much better than them.

Good luck with the instructing guys, I was right there doing what you are doing not to long ago. Keep working hard and try and have some fun and learn while you are instructing. Dont be just a talking passenger work on your skills every chance you get.

fly4ever- "It mostly has to do with learning how to relate to the other people you work around. A good attitude will go a long way towards making your early years at a regional a great experience both in training and on the line." This was your advice to them right after you slammed them for joking around. These guys seem to have good attitudes. I mean they didnt even respond back at you afterwards.

sorry man i am not trying to bust your ballz but i hate it when people start bashing guys who still have the passion in flying. Dont be that guy that no one wants to fly with. give them a break.

Last edited:
thanks super, and fly4ever you have a good point, i'll keep it clean on the forum, just poking fun of some students, but mostly sarcasm. you all seem like a great group of guys, and im looking foward to right seating with yall.

DN

2. Nope. The play pick up and drop to effectively get close to and sometimes exceed Captain's pay.

I highly doubt that. Except maybe a reserve who does not fly at all.

Geez,
I am completely sick of hearing people say they learn so much from instructing, that's a bunch of nonsense
Flying demands physical skill, and I can't remember the last time I had a chance to fly an airplane down to minimums............I'm currnetly stuck w/ a bunch of students working on their PPL, and I feel like I'm nowhere near as sharp as when I finished my CFII.........It's not the shiny jet syndrome why most guys want to get to thenext level it's the challenge.

FurloughedAgain said:
Thats a topic for a different thread JungleProp ... and I think it's been beaten to death over there too.

1000 techniques for flying an airplane. You and I simply disagree on that one.

He obviously hasn't seen the Learjet spoilers in action... ;)

A senior Saab FO at Mesaba, 6 years, can make almost what a reserve captain, 6 years, makes if you factor in per diem.

Bottom line, cut things out so you spend less than you take in.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back