4 year degree at JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Hater,

Since I'm an interviewer for JB as well as a captain, I can honestly say you don't know our applicants nor their qualifications.

How does 30 female pilots out of over 800 sound like more doors have been opened for women at JB?

Speaking without knowledge is the first indication of your own lack of intelligence.

Now, happy landings to everyone else

Empathizing

hey flx,

Ive got 4200 hrs tubojet time ,1700 turobjet PIC, a four year degree, two type ratings, sleep in a Holidayinn express last night and nobody wants to hire me either:D

Learguy

It is not only hours and education. It is personality. That is what JetBlue is about.

jointops said:
Freight Hater,

Since I'm an interviewer for JB as well as a captain, I can honestly say you don't know our applicants nor their qualifications.

How does 30 female pilots out of over 800 sound like more doors have been opened for women at JB?

Speaking without knowledge is the first indication of your own lack of intelligence.

Now, happy landings to everyone else

Wow, only 30 female pilots out of 800 total? I thought jetBlue was more progressive than that.

Re: Empathizing

learjetguy said:
hey flx,

Ive got 4200 hrs tubojet time ,1700 turobjet PIC, a four year degree, two type ratings, sleep in a Holidayinn express last night and nobody wants to hire me either:D

Learguy

I was just giving a brief summary of my wife's qualifications. She has a job as a jet captain that she is happy with, and is not really looking. I was just making the point that she worked very hard to get where she is (as did we all), has very good credentials, and is a great person on top of all that...but there were no special "doors" opened for her. All I was doing was pointing out the ignorance of a certain poster's comments. But, I guess the smart thing to do is just ignore it and let it go.

English said:
Wow, only 30 female pilots out of 800 total? I thought jetBlue was more progressive than that.

"Progressive" is code for "pushing a social agenda." No such thing at JetBlue. They look for two things: experience and attitude. Do well on both, and you'll be hired. Do poorly on either and you won't. There's no room in there for affirmative action quotas or feel-good token minority group hiring, and for that I'm most grateful.

No, progressive doesn't mean "pushing a social agenda". It means, I thought more women would want to work there. If more women wanted to work there, more would have applied, and more would have been hired.

Why are you assuming that if a woman is being hired, it must be because of affirmative action quotas, or that a woman would be a token minority, as you call it?

English, the assumption that....

women get hired because of "affirmitive action" is so prevelent is because a good many were hired in this way. For instance, USAir had a hiring influx in the late 1990's that included the practice of asking female/minority interviewees if the knew of any other female/monority pilots that might be interested in flying there. If so, they were given a special fax number to get fast access to the interview process. As for UAL's practices,well.... I can assure you that Nancy Stuke was well intentioned, but to say that a few under qualifed pilots were hired because of her "diversification" programs, would be an understatement. One quote of hers was asking why women make up 51% of the overall population, but less than 15% of UAL new hires. At the time UAL's competitive stats included, along with lots of flying time, an ATP, a certificate less than 3% of female pilots had at the time. That 3% number included females who already were at a major airline making the potential female ATP's hiring less likely. What followed were numerous "special" categories of hirees getting a job that were less than experienced than other "non special" applicants. Not just leveling the field but LOWERING of standards to accomidate EEOC goals. Her tenure @ UAL and the perversion of just "leveling the playing field" theory is not just limited to the airlines. (my time in the military can testify to that). Granted, UAL was under pressure to meet "goals" under a 1977 court ordered consent decree that would fine UAL for falling short of certain stated "goals," that were de facto quotas. UAL was released from the consent decree in 1997, but management chose to act as if the were still under its guidance as liability protection for the numerous lawsuits UAL would get over alledged misdeeds in hiring. I am not passing judments on the program per se, but the original intention of EOE programs was to insure that otherwise qualified applicants were not being hired because of color, ethnicity etc. A goal which I agree with. The "leveling of the playing field" has uncomfortably morphed into "hire with less skills than others" (mainly to keep the EEOC gestapo at bay) on far too many occasions to be merely coincidental. BTW I noticed you asked a question a few months back on this forum regarding airlines that had hiring programs in place for women and minorities, what came about as the result of your search? It would be interesting to see what you found out. Can I safely assume you are female? Do you think it mattered to Aloha? Just curious....

Latest resources

Back