4-letter airport identifier as an IFR enroute nav fix

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerflyer

Can a 4-letter airport identifier be filed (or is it legal) as an enroute navaid on a flight between 2 airports under IFR, or better yet, can it be issued as a clearance. For example from KSDL to KCLT: SCOT6.ABQ..KOJA..VXV.SHINE5. Even with GPS/RNAV equipment onboard, I don't see how it can be. Nothing in the AIM or pilot/controller glossary, looking for written proof as a source to settle a bet.

I say no and I bet you a $1 million that the FAA HOST computers would reject a four letter airport ID in the route field of a flight plan. Finding it in writing will be a pain I bet.

Try ICAO Doc. 4444, Appendix 3 or search the ICAO Flight Planning sites on FAA.gov.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I say 'no' also. I've NEVER seen it...but I haven't tried either.

I don't know about FILING it, however one time I was IFR and a MOA became active and ATC said "tell you what, do direct KABI for now then after you cross KABI cleared direct destination"

so...

I would also say no because I wouldn't think an airport could technically be used as a fix. It has to be a navaid, route, or intersection to qualify. At least as far as I know.

Thanks everyone. I also say no. You can file it but in fact, the FAA computer will kick it back as an invalid waypoint or as a set of lat longs but not as a 4-letter ID. Heard a clearance given to a regional in Canadian airspace that had an NDB in it. The pilot came back and said "we don't have that NDB in the database, can we use the associated airport identifier? ATC hesitated and said sure". At the time I argued with my colleague that it was an illegal clearance but he said he thought it was legal.

with all of this said, a workaround to filing the airport as enroute fix could be a marker beacon/etc on the ILS at that airport

I say no and I bet you a $1 million that the FAA HOST computers would reject a four letter airport ID in the route field of a flight plan. Finding it in writing will be a pain I bet.

Try ICAO Doc. 4444, Appendix 3 or search the ICAO Flight Planning sites on FAA.gov.

Good luck.

I'll gladly accept that bet, and you can mail me the check for $1 million tomorrow, please!

Latest resources

Back