Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

3rd class medical and flight instruction?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saabslave

How can I flight instruct with only a 3rd class medical (thats all I can get right now)? Had a friend tell me I can still instruct if I don't charge, or use my airplane and charge more for that and not charge for the instruction, but I don't see anything in the regs about this. As far as I can tell all I can do is bfr if the pilot is current, instrament in vfr, and any training that someone would need for insurance (buying a plane that the insurance requires instruction for but they are rated). Am I missing something? I would love to do more but don't want to bust a reg.

How can I flight instruct with only a 3rd class medical (thats all I can get right now)? Had a friend tell me I can still instruct if I don't charge, or use my airplane and charge more for that and not charge for the instruction, but I don't see anything in the regs about this.

Your friend is wrong. You can teach, and charge money for it, on a third class medical certificate. While a commercial is a prerequisite to take a CFI checkride, flight instruction is not a commercial operation, and thus does not require a second-class medical. I taught with a third-class for years.

No guesswork needed on this one; 61.23 spells this one out for you:

Sec. 61.23 - Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, a person:

(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate;

(2) Must hold at least a second-class medical certificate when exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate; or

(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate --
(i) When exercising the privileges of a private pilot certificate;
(ii) When exercising the privileges of a recreational pilot certificate;
(iii) Except as specified in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, when exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate;
(iv) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate, except for a flight instructor certificate with a glider category rating, if the person is acting as the pilot in command or is serving as a required pilot flight crewmember...

The only time you have to be a little careful is when giving a demo flight to a prospective student. If you give some dual, you are okay, but if you handle the controls and simply point out the joys of flying and point out landmarks, the FAA could, and I repeat "could," construe that as a sightseeing flight. This means that if you are ramp checked or have and incident, that you should be pretty careful about answers to questions.

The only time you have to be a little careful is when giving a demo flight to a prospective student. If you give some dual, you are okay, but if you handle the controls and simply point out the joys of flying and point out landmarks, the FAA could, and I repeat "could," construe that as a sightseeing flight. This means that if you are ramp checked or have and incident, that you should be pretty careful about answers to questions.

What? It is dual given regardless.... A thrd class is all that is required!!!! Period!!!!

What? It is dual given regardless.... A thrd class is all that is required!!!! Period!!!!

You may want to check with the FAA on that. Here is a excerpt from a letter from the Office of Chief Counsel of the FAA dated February 22, 2008 and signhed by Rebecca B. MacPHerson, Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations, AGC-200:

/.../Next, you discuss a situation in which a CFI provides an introductory flight for
compensation to a person, but it is doubtful whether flight instruction actually is provided
because the person wants to see if he or she enjoys flying or wants to sightsee. You ask first
whether this type of flight is permissible under the student instruction exception of 14 C.F.R.
§ 119.1(e)(1). Then you ask ifthe CFI must possess a second-class medical certificate to
perform this type of flight.
Although introductory flights are permissible, the purpose of the flight must be student
instruction. If no instruction is involved, the flight is a commercial operation for which a

Part 119 certificate is required.
2 See 14 C.F.R. § 119.1. For example, your hypothetical
introductory flight for a person who simply wants to look out the window of the aircraft
seems to be a commercial operation because no student instruction is provided or desired by
the passenger. However, there may be circumstances in which student instruction is
provided during an introductory flight for a person contemplating the pursuit of a pilot
certificate. Assuming that the flight is for the purpose of student instruction, the CFI must
possess a third-class medical certificate as discussed above.

AS I said, normally an introductory flight counts as instruction, as long as a logbook entry is made documenting it, but if the customer simply rides along and sight sees, it could be construed as a sightseeing flight, and thus require a 2nd Class. In any event it is another area that is a bit cloudy, and for that reason it pays to be a bit cautious.

Here is the link to the FAA Legal Deciaiuon data base. If you search "flight instruction, 3rd Class Medical;\," you will find it.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org.../agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/

Anyne involved in aviation should be aware of this website.

Last edited:
A CFI technically doesn't even need any class of medical to instruct as long as the student has at least a private and current medical. CFI can still log PIC as well based upon dual given. Compensation is allowed as well.

I guess I do a different introductory Flt because the student actually controls the airplane. A sight seeing tour is not being discussed but showing a potiental student what they are in for is. My first intro Flt consist of basic aircraft control which includes climbs decents and turns. Of course they are looking out the airplane, they are VFR. The question was flight instruction and the required medical and that is a third class....period!!!!

A CFI technically doesn't even need any class of medical to instruct as long as the student has at least a private and current medical.
Depends on the type of instruction being given. If the instruction requires the CFI to act as PIC ( training for the complex endorsement) or a as required crewmember (pilot under the hood; CFI as required safety pilot), then the CFI need the 3d class medical.

Latest resources

Back