$3000 Fine... Courtesy TSA!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASACRJFlyer

Out in a memo today... For any of those who have ever gone straight from the crew bus to the gate without going through security like we're supposed to before non-revving, beware. Gate agents have been instructed to examine your seat request card and if it hasn't been marked by TSA agents at security, they are to call TSA to investigate further. If it is determined you didn't properly clear security before going to the gate, you could be fined up to $3000!

Here's my gripe with this whole process. I'm all for procedures that make travel safer. I'm not going to elaborate on how easily this process could be circumvented by someone wishing to commit a terrorist act so that no one can accuse me of providing sensitive information to those not on a "need to know" basis. The problem is this process is window dressing so that the TSA can say they're doing something, even though all that "something" is, is making non-rev travel a bigger pain in the a$$ than it already is.

Rant over, just wanted to see if anyone else felt the same...

I feel the same. I don't care for their rule, but on day 4 I go through security at the outstation, and then print off a seat request form at one of the kiosks in C or D Concourse. TSA never marks the request form, but I have been screened. Just a matter of time before I am left behind because TSA takes too long to clear me before the gate agent closes the flight out.

I guess this is another reason for Captains to check out the gate area before leaving.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that any pilot would actually want MORE federal govt. involvment in anything after having to deal with TSA on a daily basis....Federalizing security didn't make things safer...It only ran up the cost and inconveniance.

This is going to need clarification- under the old system, once you went through the security checkpoint early in the morning, you were good through the entire day as long as you never left the "sterile" area. Is this not true anymore? This is just going to make people sign up for the jump seat more- no kiosk check in for jumpseat, no marks, no problem....................

Given the issues TSA has had in the past, it makes perfect sense to crack down on flight crews, instead of spending their time screening pax...................After all, why fix the problem when you can simply harass?

Used to, I'd try and prep early to fly through security- blazing through and trying to be extremely efficient. Not anymore- now I take my dear sweet time. I figure that if I have to be there, and I don't want to be there, I'm going to make TSA not want me there either. So now, instead of rushing and busting tail to get through in a hurry, I go one item at a time, and relax. If they want me to hurry up, or they don't want me to clog the line, then they need to adopt crew pass.

That's Hope and Change, at work for America.

$3,000 fine laid on each pilot might actually close the deficit and allow for a few more free-loaders.

Yea thats bullcrap. I go through security at the outstation on day 4; kiosk in atl and straight to the gate. So do they want us to take the seat request through security and have it marked by TSA? Awesome. Makes commuting even more enjoyable.

So much easier to catch employees when the Times Square bomber is already boarded up and been served champagne..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back