• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

30 Years Today, Air Florida

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, 30 years! That was a horrible day for air travel (I was flying from ORF to JFK and got diverted to EWR) and didn't know what happened in DC until I landed. I was horrified at that crash and the terrible loss of life. The heroics exhibited that day were incredible, though.

Very sad--- we have to remember what we do can be dangerous. (I find many pilots are so used to their jobs, so experienced, they lose sight of how dangerous it actual is if not done right)

A very sad incident...However, the amount of lessons learned from that particular flight has improved safety in so many areas

I think the FO on that flight sons fly for SWA. Sad incident.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Palm 90's Captain was Larry Wheaton, and the flight's F/O was Roger Pettit. F/O Pettit's two sons Jason and Cory, who were about 7 and 9 at the time of the accident, are now both Southwest F/Os, both hired in 2004.

Bubba

Palm 90's Captain was Larry Wheaton, and the flight's F/O was Roger Pettit. F/O Pettit's two sons Jason and Cory, who were about 7 and 9 at the time of the accident, are now both Southwest F/Os, both hired in 2004.

Bubba

There's an interesting angle to the story.

When I watched that little Bell maneuver over the Potomac that day, I said to myself, "That's got to be a Vietnam era, Army trained helicopter pilot", and turns out he was!

Rest in peace
Aviation history is written in blood- never forget the lessons and be humble in the knowledge that we fly safely today bc of those who died in the past- and maybe the next lessons could come from us(?)
To his sons, prayers for peace today. it has to be hard

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back