• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2nd Job ideas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I knew a pilot that had a bunch of those gum ball and peanut machines in stores and offices, as well a our FBO. He would fill them once a week and collect the coins.
He said that he paid 3 cents per gum ball and sold them for 25 cents. Not a bad return. His only problem were slugs that people put in the machines.

( his worst location was our FBO and narrowed it down to the ramp guys and night cargo pilots :D)

If you have any knowledge of the construction industry, you could become an independent sales rep. For example, you could sell windows to glazing contractors for ABC Window Company and any sell you made, you would get the commission off of that. Most companies that I know of pay between 5-10% commission per sale. Not a bad way to make a few extra bucks, and if you do it a while you could make some really good money.

Travel

I have an onine travel agency on the side. Check it out www.robertprestontravel.com if your interested I can show you how to get your own. Its totally online so you can work it on the road and work as little or hard as you want to.

Substitute Teaching. $75 a day. Average is 10-15 calls a month. Works okay and it isn't hard to do from what I hear...

Had the same question 5 years ago when my airline was about to go out of business. Here's what I did, worked well:

Get an insurance license and sell life insurance. It's a product that many people need, and those that do have it are typically paying way too much. It's simple, pays well, make your own schedule with clients. At the end of the day, like anything else, it's sales, so if you can't stomach rejection, go pick up shifts at Burger King.

Our typicaly policy is a term policy with an $800 premium. To make the math easy, let's use $500 as a typical premium. Almost always I write one policy on the husband and one policy on the wife...wala, average $1000 premium per couple. I make 70% of that or $700. Do that a few times a month and you got some extra pocket change.

And yes...I'm an independent broker, so I can shop any company, no sales quotas, no sales managers to answer to and I own my book of clients. I went on to get an investment advisor license, so all of my old insurance clients have become investments clients. And no, I don't manage their money - I hire a third party money manager to do it and I charge 1%. The name of the game is assets under management - $10,000,000 pays you about $100,000 a year - is that enough extra money for you?

So, soon I will no longer DEPEND on flying. I flew all while building a book of business and within the next 3 to 5 years I'll go full-time contract (cause I do like to fly, just not on a choke-chain schedule).

WARNING: This route is harder than most, but it's also worth it more than anything else. PM me if you want more info on what/how I did it.

AZ

Heaven help us LD is gonna start teaching our children. I can see how this will go:

Little Johnny: Excuse me Mr. LD? Im having problems with problem #11. I dont understand the "carry your one" thing.

LD: My gosh kid how in hades do you think you'll ever be able to understand the intricacies of the Legacy if you cant carry the one? You idiot! I'm calling your mom!

LOL

By the way AA717drivr, love your style. Pound beers, too much.

LegacyDriver The Substitute Teacher:

"Our geography lessons will focus on Brazil. Home of Embraer, maker of the world famous Legacy!"

"Mr. Driver, what about other countries?" "Were you not listening? Brazil is home to Embraer!! The aerospace center of the universe! Think about that as you write the previous sentence 100 times! Now, any other questions?" "Fine, lets begin, Embraer, founded in..."

Cheers- Rum

LD- Just a little ball-busting (all three)!

Substitute teaching works good. Where I live it's about $100/day and you're done by 3:30 or earlier. With block class scheduling you sometimes have a very easy day. Pass out the assignments and get paid to do your bills, read or whatever. The teachers and kids think pilots are cool.

Substitute teaching works good. Where I live it's about $100/day and you're done by 3:30 or earlier. With block class scheduling you sometimes have a very easy day. Pass out the assignments and get paid to do your bills, read or whatever. The teachers and kids think pilots are cool.

Can somebody explain what's wrong with our education system again?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back