2nd Chance with SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What medical?

He interviewed in 1991. Prior to 1994 those who passed the interview were asked to do drug tests before the decision board met. SWA realized they were wasting money on drug testing those that the DB didn't select. When he said medical I took it to mean the drug test.

ASA Captain said:
On the LOI, I didn't use all my resources. I got nervous because of a misunderstanding in the briefing, and forgot about a resource.:( I also didn't do a very good debrief.

During the 1 on 1, a situation I used as how I dealt with a conflict was, well , wrong. Instead of asserting command, I adapted to a different personality than my own. I wish I could have explained it better. But I realize that what I did was not the proper way to handle it. I never thought I lost the command differential flying with this person, I just didn't like his personality. I handled it by assuming some of his personality traits. A mistake in and of itself. I was stupid enough to bring it up in an interview.:erm:

I since have had to deal with a conflict that I am proud to use in an interview, if I can get a second chance.

We all make mistakes. I try to learn from them, and my failed interview was a slap in the face.

I wouldn't worry about being "marked". You just had a rough interview. I would recommend getting some interview preparation though. It really helped me work though my "jitters" before going in there. Good luck!

How Long?????

Thanks for all the tips. I have done a prep recently and I intend to do another quickie when I get an interview. But......

If someone out there got a second or third interview, how long did it take to get the second interview?:confused:

Heck,

I'm still waiting for my first!! But good luck and let us know if you get your second one. I'm pretty sure you will.

I interviewed pre 9-11 and as soon as I was able to reapply (2years back then) I did. Of course when my 2 years was up they weren't accepting apps. Applied finally late '03 and then did the computer app when that came out Jan 04.

Went to the LAX job fair in Apr.04 and felt like I made a good contact with one of the Captain recruiters there. Job fair was on Sat. I was called for interview on Tuesday. Coincidence? Maybe. If it wasn't then that job fair was money well spent.

Successful on 2nd Interview. Much more confident 2nd time around. New what to expect a little bit. I also had a lot more experience--was a check-airman by then etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. I got my 2nd Chance!

Just an update:

I interviwed recently. I am still waiting on a decision board.

It was almost two years to the day that I was called? Coincidence? Well I also harassed the PD people Friday's at higher power, called occaisionally, went to the Air Inc. DFW job fair to see them again, and called a recruiter about two weeks before I got a suprise call for the interview. You decide. Maybe they got tired of seeing me.

~4500 TT
~2500 PICT

I felt more comfortable this time around. I think the LOI went well and I think the interviews were fine. Waiting to hear...

One interesting point: I was asked about the prior interview. I told them why I thought I was turned down. I hope they understand that I meant what I said. I seriously looked at my own weaknesses and I have made a change in how I handle the captain role. That is not just fluff to get hired. I really analyzed myself and saw a weakness that I have focused on improving. I hope they see that too.

I thought I had an "in" the first time around. Obviously not. I don't think I was arrogant, but I wasn't prepared for the rejection. The slap in the face was good for me, and I actually learned from it.

For those who are waiting for the 2nd chance...

I know that SWA turns down many, but I don't think they turn people down on a whim. There was probably a specific reason or two that you and I were shown the door. Think about it. Seriously. If you were on the DB and you saw a pilot twice that had the same issues, would you hire them? Some things you can't change ie. busted rides, or FAA letters. They know about those things before hand. What they might care more about is who you are. How do you handle stress, conflict, authority, decisions, and CRM? Do you have a weakness? I suggest you find it and at least acknowledge it, if not work towards fixing it. Just my $0.02!!

Good luck.:cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back