• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2D cell flashlight equivalent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just out of curiosity, do the planes you fly not have flashlights provided within them (i.e. attached in some way to the plane at each pilot's station)? I guess some do and some don't... anyway, the "2 D-cell equivalent" only seems to apply to "flying equipment required" in Part 91, (FAR 91.503(a)(1)) and thus to the flashlights provided for you within the plane. Part 121 only references a "flashlight in good working order" and does not specify a cell size (121.549(b)). So unless your ops specs require D-cells or equivalent, I don't know why you would carry one.

I carry a Surefire A2 and it's brighter than hell, and no FAA guy or girl has ever given me a problem about it when I have been ramped. Only occasionally have they ever even wanted to see that I had a flashlight in my flight bag. I don't think any of them has ever asked me to turn it on.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, do the planes you fly not have flashlights provided within them (i.e. attached in some way to the plane at each pilot's station)? I guess some do and some don't... anyway, the "2 D-cell equivalent" only seems to apply to "flying equipment required" in Part 91, (FAR 91.503(a)(1)) and thus to the flashlights provided for you within the plane. Part 121 only references a "flashlight in good working order" and does not specify a cell size (that I can find, anyway). So unless your ops specs require D-cells or equivalent, I don't know why you would carry one.

I carry a Surefire A2 and it's brighter than hell, and no FAA guy or girl has ever given me a problem about it when I have been ramped. Only occasionally have they ever even wanted to see that I had a flashlight in my flight bag. I don't think any of them has ever asked me to turn it on.

I think they got rid of the D-Cell requirement in 121, since we have permanent flashlights in the airplane.

We have to carry our own to make sure we don't use the installed units for walk-arounds, etc.

Just out of curiosity, do the planes you fly not have flashlights provided within them (i.e. attached in some way to the plane at each pilot's station)?

Where I work, using the aircraft flashlights for walk around inspections is verboten; we must carry and use our own. The idea, I'm told, is to keep the aircraft flashlights fully charged at all times. Also, I just went through recurrent brainwashing class, and it was explained that the D-cell requirement is not applicable, because it is not listed in our OpSpecs.

Where I work, using the aircraft flashlights for walk around inspections is verboten; we must carry and use our own. The idea, I'm told, is to keep the aircraft flashlights fully charged at all times. Also, I just went through recurrent brainwashing class, and it was explained that the D-cell requirement is not applicable, because it is not listed in our OpSpecs.

We no longer have the D-cell requirement either...we just have to carry two working flashlights.

Latest resources

Back