Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WOW

Caveman,

When Comair starts getting the 757 do you think you could walk my resume in! I hope I have the experience requirements. Can't wait!!

AAflyer

P.S> If all goes well, I will help you get your son or daughter on at American to get some experience, before hitting the big time!!:D

I became at CFI at age 30. Now a year later, I plan on being at a regional in the next 6-12 months. After 3-5 years there, I hope to have competitive mins for the majors. I figure I'll be 35-38 years old by then. That'll give me 20+ years to fly for a major. If I never get there, I'll be content making around 100k and flying and ideal schedule at the regional.

Plan your work, then work your plan.

best o' luck

I once flew with a captain at my airline that took his first flight lesson at forty. He was a real joy to fly with, and he wanted to figure out how he could keep flying professionally after 60.

I would suggest you read the book, "I could do anything if I only knew what it was," By Barbara Sher. It helps you to find out what your dream job really is, and helps you to leave your "safe" job. It also shows you that there really is no such thing as a safe job anyway. It helped me to make the jump. Good luck to you.

Over 40!!

OK, Kiddo,
I started as a CFI at 47!. Training and flying all the while. Hope to fly a Citation or RJ very soon with just over 1000 hours. It'll happen for me without question. It'll happen for you for sure.
You have the edge at your age right now. Start now!
Best of luck.

P.S. I fly a Turbo Commander for a company in Atlanta. Landed that job at 46! Are you too old. I think not.

Thanks All!

Thanks everyone for the sage advice and other comments!

I've never given thought to stopping what I'm doing. I just wanted to have a better grasp on the whole timeline issue going from instructing to majors.

Thanks again! What a valuable resource! This so called "internet."

PHXAviator

Old CFIs

Most of the instructors I know are in their mid thirties. Theres only one at our aeroclub who's younger -- he's about 20. My previous instructor is 32 and just had an offer from a commuter-- He didn't get started (flying) 'till he was 27. What it boils down to is none of the instructors feel hindered by their age and I think age is a big bonus in the flying game. I am 32 and I feel that the experience of years and life experience is a big bonus, and I c an't see 40 being too old for an airline.
I am in a similar position as you, but I don't really look 'forward' to being an instructor after seeing some other students (and thinking back to the times when I tried to kill my instructor!!) But I reckon its one of the best ways to rack up time.

Good luck
Shaun

And, I think when I make captain soon I'm going to like flying withe the more mature guys, rather than those academy wonder boys who think they are all that. Just nice to have someone my own age in the right seat.

SDD,

You've probably heard this before, but the best part about upgrading is that you get to fly with your favorite captain every day.

Just to add to the thread topic, I soloed at age 29.

Latest resources

Back