• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

250 Below 10

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Public use", (military) aircraft are exempt from the FARs. Compliance is usually built into their SOP, they don't get violated by the FAA, just "THE BOSS".
PBR

From talking to one of them, they are required to follow Flight Rules in part 91 (91.151 to 91.193).

I have had controllers waive the Speed when they want an altitude first on a desent. Controllers are a represenative of the "administrator".

That controller was wrong. He/she is NOT a Designee of the Administrator. There is actually a list of regulations in the FARs that the Administrator can give a waiver for. Its a list of the regs that say, "Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator" in it just as the aircraft speed reg 91.117. Anyways, the list is in 91.905 and the policy and procedures to attain such waiver is in 91.903. It says, "The Administrator may issue a certificate of waiver authorizing the operation of aircraft in deviation from any rule listed in this subpart if the Administrator finds that the proposed operation can be safely conducted under the terms of that certificate of waiver." A controller CANNOT do what this reg says.

Last edited:
I believe there was a case a couple years ago where 2 guys at an airshow lost their civilian certificates for a 91.117 violation.

So you say to a 744 on departure going to RJAA "Fly 280kts heading 360" or does the pilot advise you that is what he is doing. My understanding has always been the requirement is for the pilot to advise per AIM 4-4-12 there is no authorization from ATC. If you have this authority what was the logic for the IAH high speed departure test a couple years back?

This brings up a good point.....The pilot calls ground metering or clnc usually prior to the push and requests the longest available runway, indicates that they will be unable to comply with the altitude crossing restrictions contained in the ORD3 DP, and indicates they need a high speed climb which is usually 280KTS, we note it on the strip and coordinate it with the tracon.

If you have this authority what was the logic for the IAH high speed departure test a couple years back?

I beleive the logic was that everyone could exceed 250 below 10 regardless of operational necessity. Everyone from an RJ to an A380 could do it.

This brings up a good point.....The pilot calls ground metering or clnc usually prior to the push and requests the longest available runway, indicates that they will be unable to comply with the altitude crossing restrictions contained in the ORD3 DP, and indicates they need a high speed climb which is usually 280KTS, we note it on the strip and coordinate it with the tracon.
Maybe the company has a Certificate of Waiver issued by the ADMINISTRATOR hanging on their wall?

No, I don't think it is that but can't confirm it but I do know there are aircraft that need the speed to climb. The 744 to my recog are the only ones I remember doing it but the heavy heavy Asia flights typically request 280kts. ORD can't be the only facility out there doing this. Id like a 747 pilot to chime in here but doubt they read this side of the board. The though process is if you need it you need it. Its done more often then you think.

On the 74 classic we almost always need a high speed climb to keep the flaps up, unless we are really light. Really we don't even need to ask because of the exemption that says something about 250 or min clean speed whichever is higher. At least thats what I was told. On landing, even when at a max weight of 633, our min clean speed is still below 250, around 230 to 240 so we can always fly 250 without flaps.

As a military pointy nose pilot, you are expected to operate at a speed that is reasonable for maneuverability and visibility over the nose. For the Hornet, 300-350 knots is defensible. It is true that we cannot be violated by the FAA. Only by the CNO.

True, but the FAA can report a violation to the CNO. Don't know how it is now, but I'm aware that ANG fighters use to fly into NAS Glenview, in the northern Chicago burbs, and ORD approach would violate them for Class B (TCA in those days) violations occasionally. Usually the Glenview Ops O would "talk" to the pilot and it would go no further. Still, it doesn't make the military pilot immune to the FAA.

The 744 climb speed is Vref 30 +100 or 250kts, whichever is higher. Vref 30 at max gross weight (397 tonnes) is approx 182kts. We routinely climb at 300 to 330kts below 10000 feet in other parts of the world, approved by ATC of course.

Is there a speed restriction for departing aricraft in Canada? I was given a max forward speed once below 10,000 and was not sure at the time. Later I asked several people and most said you could go as fast as you want when departing and that was clearly spelled out in the CAR's. I don't have a copy of the Canadian regs so not 100% on this one.

You hear the 744's ask for 280 often leaving DTW on their way to Asia.
As for Canada, you can climb out at whatever speed you want after being cleared to climb at/above 10000 even if you are still below 10

Latest resources

Back