• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2009 outlook for horizon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck to you mate in this job climate. What I would do if I were you would be to look at cargo outfits that you might be able to commute to, try:

www.airnet.com
www.empireair.com
www.ameriflight.com

If no luck consider Part 135 charter like this place:

www.regalair.com

You can get a list of 135 operators from the local FAA office. Start at faa.gov. I'd probably stop by and introduce yourself rather than call them though at these type of places. Walk away from any sketchy places though, don't be that desperate.

You might want to consider Alaskan cargo as well, try www.penair.com, www.northeraircargo.com.

Some other resources:

www.aviationinterviews.com
www.airlinepilotcentral.com

Don't worry about the occasional xenophobe posting anonymously on here, I'm a colonial as well (whingeing pom) and have been treated very well in my 8 years here. A lot of Americans go out of their way to thank me for our military contribution to the war and the same should hold true for an Aussie.

Cheers :beer:

Is QANTAS hiring? I would love to fly 747's out of Sydney. Will they give a Yank a shot?
Keep yanking, you will have a shot after awhile!
PBR

stay low,

dude what makes you think that I am trying to TAKE jobs away from americans??

my (american) wife needs to come back to the US to finish up her degree so what do you suggest I do?? I'm a pilot and I fly planes why shouldn't I have a shot at it over there? it's up to the hiring panel of an airline to give me a job.

In future unless you have something productive to say just keep it to yourself. Pretty low to think I'm trying to pinch jobs from you guys I know how hard this industry can be and I wouldn't dream of sending another guy out on the street because of me. You've gotta do what you've gotta do.

By the way... the immigration process is way too much to go through just to chase work.
Common over,
I would rather have you in the right seat, than the dooche bags who post on here!
There is flying work here, just not as much as there was in days past. If you are not a dooche bag, you will pick something in time.
PBR

I disagree. Your definition of the "American Dream" is different than mine. Oh well.

You seem to forget that many non-US Citizens serve in the US Military to provide many (you included) the freedoms they enjoy and the "American" dream. Maybe it's time for you to re-evaluate your definition of the American dream.

You can commute at any US regional, but the policies vary. Some have commuter clauses in their contract providing you with a "get out of jail free" card if you fulfill certain requirements, while others just require you get to work on time al[most]l the time. Not sure what your options are time wise and location wise, but PDX and SEA can be kind of nasty for commuters as there are quite a few guys living here and not many airlines with significant domiciles. If your wife has options, both NYC and ORD have a large number of airlines basing crews there. NYC tends to go junior for all airlines, but it very expensive.

It will probably be a while before you can can get any 121 job and then it may be years before you can get off reserve or into the domicile you wanted.

Is there anyone who may be able to shed some light on regionals that allow commuting?? and from guys who currently commute, what do you have to say about it?? My wife is unsure where she is going to be for university so somewhere commutable would be ideal. Staylow, I'm not asking for a handout just a steer in the right direction.

Anyone with any input would be appreciated.

V

stay low,

dude what makes you think that I am trying to TAKE jobs away from americans??

my (american) wife needs to come back to the US to finish up her degree so what do you suggest I do?? I'm a pilot and I fly planes why shouldn't I have a shot at it over there? it's up to the hiring panel of an airline to give me a job.

In future unless you have something productive to say just keep it to yourself. Pretty low to think I'm trying to pinch jobs from you guys I know how hard this industry can be and I wouldn't dream of sending another guy out on the street because of me. You've gotta do what you've gotta do.

By the way... the immigration process is way too much to go through just to chase work.

I love how Aussies talk, if only we sounded so cool to them when we go to the "Outback"

No offense...but you foreign guys coming to America to get flying jobs is wrong. Stay at home...don't come here looking for work. There are enough American guys out on furlough who need jobs. With all due respect stay at home where you belong.

Staylow: Another example of the ugly american

No, that's the problem...Aussies can work here fairly easily, but it's next to impossible for a yank to get hired to fly for anyone in Australia!

So what steps does a foreigner need to take to work here?

PS - I know the answer, so don't BS me. Based on your post, you have that tendency.

Latest resources

Back