• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2009 outlook for horizon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is QANTAS hiring? I would love to fly 747's out of Sydney. Will they give a Yank a shot?

Horizon has 68 people on furlough but check airmen are getting critical pay to fly as FOs. Good unity they have there.

To anyone at QX arrogant enough to pick up open-time with fellow pilots on furlough you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't know how some of these pompous check airmen can look themselves in a mirror or even have the balls to walk through the breakroom after getting paid time-and-half check airmen pay to sit right seat.

staylow,

fair enough and good luck to you aswell.

With wages of up to 500k (sometimes more) a year tax free with emirates I don't think they need to go to the effort of recruiting in specific countries. and a large chunk of the guys they recruit are from the US. Same goes for Cathay Pacific.

Jon Rivoli: QF has scaled back hiring right now but they have a tendancy to react and change things very quickly with their staffing needs. I expect they will probably pick it up again later in the year. If you want pop in a resume (PM me if you want some particulars). I hear alot of American guys flying around over here on all of the QF equipment. QANTAS may sponsor guys with time on type but don't take that as gospel. Qantaslink flies Q400's aswell so If anyone can get a visa I'd suggest that. They pay pretty well. If you have a degree (in anything) you can get a 1 year Aussie working visa in 3 days online, piece of cake.

With regards to the legacy airlines, I have looked into it and the reason why there are no foreign blokes working at Delta, United etc. is because in alot of cases they do not accept a degree from outside of the USA.

Is there anyone who may be able to shed some light on regionals that allow commuting?? and from guys who currently commute, what do you have to say about it?? My wife is unsure where she is going to be for university so somewhere commutable would be ideal. Staylow, I'm not asking for a handout just a steer in the right direction.

Anyone with any input would be appreciated.

V

Sorry "v" it isn't personal. After 20+ in the military I have a difficult time accepting giving away the American dream. Good luck.

Then obviously you have completely misunderstood the "american" dream!

Try Ameriflight they always need guys up there when the weather gets bad. V, it's a bad time in the industry right now, no one is hiring. Just bad timing.

Cheers CX880. I'll look into it.

Maybe I should learn how to make coffee in the meantime.

V

That's pretty arrogant. How many American pilots have gone to Jet Airways, Emirates, Cathay, Quantas, Air Canada, and more? I know at least one to each. The global economy sucks right now. People are desperate to find work anywhere. Besides, an Australian speaks English!

Although I would typically agree with you I must say that Australians and Kiwis should stay in their respective countries and fly there... do you know how difficult it is for an American to go to Oz and get a job much less a work visa?
I have looked into it from dang near every angle possible and I can't find any practical way other than marrying an Australian.... even still the relicensing process is drawn out (albeit not as bad as going FAA to JAA/JAR)... converting from a foreign license to FAA is a relatively simple process and getting a work visa here is veeerrrryyy easy by comparison.
Other points.... the pay in Oz is much better than the US although still low... as well as the working conditions.
That being said... if I had the chance to fly in Australia I would.... it just isn't practical.
Any of you guys know an Aussie gal looking to get married soon? Lol.

Hey "v" don't listen to uninformed small minded people like "stay low" who think that the US lives in it's own little bubble. I'm currently working overseas and have worked in both Europe and Asia and there have been PLENTY of Americans working with me in both places. Although I can't recommend flying as a job in the US-I left because it was cr@p- there are several places who hire pilots around the NW. Empire Airlines has a Seattle and Portland base. The SEA base has ATR's and Caravans' and the PDX base has Caravans. Also for some fun San Juan airlines hires 207 and Beaver drivers and it is a really fun place to work. Also check out AirPac, Ameriflight, Aeroflight. If you have a ton of experience and get lucky Executive flight might hire you into a Lear based in Boeing field, or in Wenatchee. Best of luck and I wish that more Non-Americans would come fly in the US since they have self respect and would help to bring up the industry for the pilots, and they are usually more fun and open minded than alot of the American guys. Best of luck.

No offense...but you foreign guys coming to America to get flying jobs is wrong. Stay at home...don't come here looking for work. There are enough American guys out on furlough who need jobs. With all due respect stay at home where you belong.

You, sir, are an a$$hole!

Latest resources

Back