2006 Flight Dept of the Year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

modecontrol

Great Job by Professional Pilot Magazines Editor-at-Large, Grant McLaren. He wrote the December 2006 Flight Department of the Year article stating that Northrop Grumman is just that. The articles mentions several times that the flight department is an asset that continues to grow. Well he must have done a hell of a lot of research considering that 30 days later, the flight department of the year has laid off 4 pilots and more are on the way.

Good job Grant. Keep up the good work.

Wow, how did my flt dept stay off that list? 4 days a month flying and $200k/year. Not bad. oh, and no layoffs in the history of our dept..

I had the misfortune of being one of the flight departments aquired by Northrop Grumman in 2002 and flew for them for 1 year during the transition. I can say without a doubt that the management team in Hawthorne(of which the current manager of flight ops was a part of) was the worst I have ever seen in corporate aviation. The executives, line pilots(full time not including the weekend warrior contract pilots), mechanics, and entire team at KBWI were some of the best people I have ever had the opportunity to work with and did an incredible job with the idiots they reported to. It was the posterchild for halfa$$ed 135 charter management and treated the crews as such. It would have been better to get absorbed by Flight Options than to let the former Dir of Flt Ops and C.P. have our Flight Department. The top notch executive of NG, when they found out how badly they were treating the aquired departments, moved up our extremely generous severances and we were all able to go about our merry way. The article mentions sereval times that there are Improved labor relations. This means they treated people like $hit and are getting better. Their new Dir of Flt Ops must have done an incredible job and I truley congratulate him on what I thought would be an impossible mission. But there are hundreds of great flight departments out there that don't have the history of pilot abuse that NG has and while they might be the most improved they don't even rank among the great flight departments out there! I can't stress enough how great the executives, line pilots, mechanics, and entire team(mgt and crew) @ KBWI were and it only took R.P. and T.R. to run it into the ground. I am far from bitter because it was the best thing financialy and professionaly that has ever happened in my career but answering to KHHR management during the transition was by far the low point. Grant McLaren either needs to get out more or research more to not now of NGAI's past! Where is R.P. and why is he gone would be a good lace to start!

This topic has been covered before. ProPilot Dept. of the Year is the best department of those that were allowed to be considered. I can tell you for a fact that most Dir's/CP's of the top notch outfits don't want anything to do with this "award" ... The smart leaders of aviation departments want to be low visibility. And for good reason.

I had the misfortune of being one of the flight departments aquired by Northrop Grumman in 2002 and flew for them for 1 year during the transition. I can say without a doubt that the management team in Hawthorne(of which the current manager of flight ops was a part of) was the worst I have ever seen in corporate aviation. The executives, line pilots(full time not including the weekend warrior contract pilots), mechanics, and entire team at KBWI were some of the best people I have ever had the opportunity to work with and did an incredible job with the idiots they reported to. It was the posterchild for halfa$$ed 135 charter management and treated the crews as such. It would have been better to get absorbed by Flight Options than to let the former Dir of Flt Ops and C.P. have our Flight Department. The top notch executive of NG, when they found out how badly they were treating the aquired departments, moved up our extremely generous severances and we were all able to go about our merry way. The article mentions sereval times that there are Improved labor relations. This means they treated people like $hit and are getting better. Their new Dir of Flt Ops must have done an incredible job and I truley congratulate him on what I thought would be an impossible mission. But there are hundreds of great flight departments out there that don't have the history of pilot abuse that NG has and while they might be the most improved they don't even rank among the great flight departments out there! I can't stress enough how great the executives, line pilots, mechanics, and entire team(mgt and crew) @ KBWI were and it only took R.P. and T.R. to run it into the ground. I am far from bitter because it was the best thing financialy and professionaly that has ever happened in my career but answering to KHHR management during the transition was by far the low point. Grant McLaren either needs to get out more or research more to not now of NGAI's past! Where is R.P. and why is he gone would be a good lace to start!

Hey NGT,
I think the best thing to happen in your career was me kicking your a$$ at Golden Tee on RONs. We need to all head out for drink in the near future.

ET

Now maybe people will begin to see that Pro Pilot is an bizav manufacturer propaganda machine. Did you know that Pro Pilot's stories get sent to the manufacturers before print, and they can change whatever they like? And that's just the tip of the iceberg at Pro Pilot...

Wow, how did my flt dept stay off that list? 4 days a month flying and $200k/year. Not bad. oh, and no layoffs in the history of our dept..
Wait a minute...how come every time I see you, you're driving that puke green Pinto with the floorboards rusted out? ;)

More on Pro Pilot Mag......

Except for some excellent weather articles I have found this slick mag to be a media platform for some of the most pompous aviation people and companies. From the never ending self promotion of Clay Lacy Aviation, to DCA Signature always winning the survey, and the best flight departments. Remember the single Hawker Flight department that flew over 1000 hours a year with 2 pilots? That's great. There has got to be more room for another credible mag.

Hey NGT,
I think the best thing to happen in your career was me kicking your a$$ at Golden Tee on RONs. We need to all head out for drink in the near future.

ET

I only work about three days a month so just tell me the time and place!! I've been practicing my GT but I think you'll still kick my a$$!! Red Team rule!!!!!(Falls River!) See you soon!!

The recruiter!!

Yum Yum!!

Latest resources

Back