• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

200 knots below Class B

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATL controllers (west side) tell me to go fast - that they want you out of their area ASAP. It's different on the east side. East side controllers will ask your speed and reminde you of the 200 limit. Sometimes departing FTY or PDK you are under class B, then in it, over it, and back under it again. If you are in or over class B speed limit is 250, only 200 when below. I usually ask ATC what speed they would like.
I was also told that the 200 K below class B was an old rule from the days before transponders were required. We don't need this rule today. I live in the ATL area and have a hard time flying the aircraft and knowing for sure if in, over, or under class B.

750driver said:
Actually CE-750 Vmo is:

350kts. from 8,000 ft - 30,650 ft.
270kts. below 8,000 ft.

You've got to watch out for the 270 kt. limit. It's caught us a few times on decent through 8K. Cessna stated the aircraft can actually do much better, but they incorporated this speed in as safety margin for windshield strike protection ... supposedly.

On the 50EX we have:

350 KIAS @ Sea Level increasing linearly to
370 KIAS @ 10,000ft then becoming an
Mmo of M0.86

In the 900EX we have:

350 KIAS @ Sea Level increasing linearly to
370 KIAS @ 10,000ft then becoming an
Mmo of M0.87

lol! The funny part about stirring crap up around here is that I never fail to learn something in the ensuing backlash. Vmo and Mmo? I wouldn't have known about them if I hadn't have picked on Falcon Capt's ride. :p

As far as I can remember, and it has been a while, the only exception to the 307 @ 14,000 for a 20\30 series lear are those that have the 307 Kt vmo at all times. I did some work in a 25C that had it. Now THAT was a pain in the A$$ in a descent

Now I get to drive a Hawker 700 and I couldn't hit VMO/MMO without first pointing it straight at the ground at 100% N1
:)

But at least we get to climb out at 230 Kts to .63 WOOT!!

Last edited:
I've only been asked one time to deviate from the below 10/250 restriction....9/11. FL330 enroute to BDL. ATC says descend to 11,000ft. turn left to a heading of 240 this will be vectors to the visual runway 28 approach. As I descended through 12000, ATC says to give them best rate to 4000 and max forward speed. I asked if they wanted me at 250 below 10 and they replied "Negative, disregard the speed restriction, maximum forward speed, we need to get you on the ground. Any aircraft currently aloft are considered a potential threat and may be possibly interecepted and shot down." I know I was doing at least 330 at about 4000'.

Also, at one time the Houston area had a max forward speed below 10 trial going on. Is it still?

As far as I know, Huston is the only place you can go faster than 250 below 10, and be legal. It was approved by the admnistrator.

bigD said:
lol! The funny part about stirring crap up around here is that I never fail to learn something in the ensuing backlash. Vmo and Mmo? I wouldn't have known about them if I hadn't have picked on Falcon Capt's ride. :p

Hehehehe... did you expect anything less???? ;)

Still waiting for that Lunch at the Salt Lick!

ATC does not have the authority to have you go above 250 below 10,000. If they request and you do it you can still be violated. With the exception to Houston and they have to give the clearance for it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back