• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

20 years ago

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All the pilots that lived that era??!! All of them Dan? As I've pointed out to you many times, my father lost a pension in that era you describe and they didn't raise the age for him. Matter of fact, guys like you who were junior back then made certain they didn't even get jobs.

65 is done. We're only 12 months from retirements starting again. Has it been enough? Old guys ought to be counting this down with the entire group. Instead old guys like you continue to gripe and complain like you are still waiting for some relief. What else does the world owe your generation?

What else does the world owe your generation?

LOVE IT! One more year and the baby boomer trash will start to fade into history. I wont miss the opportunity to shove one of their wheelchairs in the ditch someday.

I'm curious, how did "guys like me" prevent your Dad from getting a job? Also, are you saying that if your Dad could have recouped some of what was stolen from him by flying to 65 you think he would be wrong to do it?

Seems to me this career got seriously altered for everyone, it's always had guys who got screwed and others who scored. PanAm had guys hired who upgraded quick and other guys who were hired a year later that never did upgrade and other guys hired just a year later that got furloughed and never recalled. At least now everyone has the chance to go to 65 if they are so inclined.

The career got serously altered indeed, but not the same for everyone. As junior pilots, your generation could have done more to help those initially knocked out by deregulation. But you did not. You didn't support it at all. Instead, your generation believes the rest of us should now sacrafice anything to help you.

Look, we've talked about all this. It's time to change the dialog. Stop acting like 65 didn't happen and start the social enforcement supporting retirement at 65 and the return of ethical seniority progression.

Just keep in mind the only way to become a grumpy old man is to survive your young turk years. I've seen many pass away early from smoking, drinking and adrenaline junkie activities. It takes luck, skill and healthy living to make it to the end of this career. Your reward will be open hostility from the impatient new hire F/Os and "it's like flying with my daddy" comments from the hottie young FAs, but you will be able to smile at all of it.

Back to the thread: The Clipper callsign was the best, commanding respect from all!

Just keep in mind the only way to become a grumpy old man is to survive your young turk years. I've seen many pass away early from smoking, drinking and adrenaline junkie activities. It takes luck, skill and healthy living to make it to the end of this career. Your reward will be open hostility from the impatient new hire F/Os and "it's like flying with my daddy" comments from the hottie young FAs, but you will be able to smile at all of it.

Back to the thread: The Clipper callsign was the best, commanding respect from all!

Then I have seen some of the old crusties marry the young thing. 30+ years difference. Not sure how that happens but it does.

Age and seniority is not and never was the problem. De-regulation caused all of the problems associated with the industry today. That and the willingness of pilots to buy a specious political argument. When pilots crossed PATCO,s line in 1981, that was pretty much the fat lady singing.

Then I have seen some of the old crusties marry the young thing. 30+ years difference. Not sure how that happens but it does.

Perhaps because the women prefer maturity.

Oof. Isn't there some sort of rule-of-thumb, like half your age plus ____?

Thirty years, give that dude some earplugs . . . . followed by a good lawyer. :laugh:

Age and seniority is not and never was the problem. De-regulation caused all of the problems associated with the industry today. That and the willingness of pilots to buy a specious political argument. When pilots crossed PATCO,s line in 1981, that was pretty much the fat lady singing.

+1

I didn't cross the PATCO line. I got furloughed!

And the crusty marrying half his age is looking for his lost youth, she is looking for a meal ticket. Better to get a good one first time around and accept that you both are going to age. Well, at least it is less expensive. :)

Latest resources

Back