20 year career earnings...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smacktard

Saw some data recently about 20 year earnings based on current pay rates, average line values, 401k contributions, expected upgrade, and typical career progression (ie narrow body to wide body FO and captain) and was shocked at the results. Delta was the lowest of Southwest, Airtran, Frontier, and Continental. Of course that will change with any new contract and growth as upgrade values change but the numbers were something like (again, I can't remember the exact values but they were close to this below);

Delta - $3.3 million

Airtran - $3.33 million

Frontier - $3.35 million

Continental - $3.4 million

Southwest - $4.4 million

FedEx - $6.6 million

UPS - $6.5 million

Last edited:
Airtran should be closer to $5.0 Million with its soon to be 30% pay raise and 6 year upgrade.

That is half of what it use to be for most of those carriers xcept cargo. Does not include 25 year pensions or 35 year pensions. Now-a-days why bother with that, right.

That is half of what it use to be for most of those carriers xcept cargo. Does not include 25 year pensions or 35 year pensions. Now-a-days why bother with that, right.

Yeah - I wish I could find my old 1997 air inc salary survey book (remember them? and those days?). 20 year career with AAA/UAL/DAL/AA/CAL/NWA was worth 9-12 mil plus the pension. We drooled as CFI's over the charts. Now today kids think (and we are forced into) JB and Republic is a career destination.

BTW I remember the pages of the major airlines mentioned above were worn thin but the SWA, AWA and TWA pages were as crisp as ever. Mildly worn for UPS and FDX. JB/Airtran ect. were not even included in the same chapter.

Last edited:
Yeah - I wish I could find my old 1997 air inc salary survey book (remember them? and those days?). 20 year career with AAA/UAL/DAL/AA/CAL/NWA ect. 12 mil plus the pension. We drooled as CFI's. Now today kids think JB is a career destination.

BTW I remember the pages of the major airlines mentioned above were worn thin but the SWA, AWA and TWA pages were as crisp as ever. Mildly worn for UPS and FSX. JB/Airtran ect. were not even included in the same chapter.

If only LCC had hired me, I wouldn't be stuck at B6! Oh the humanity....

Airtran should be closer to $5.0 Million with its soon to be 30% pay raise and 6 year upgrade.

Wow...you really think you will get our money...and keep your upgrade time? That's bold thinking. Particularly for a Merger Committee member!

If only LCC had hired me, I wouldn't be stuck at B6! Oh the humanity....

If only JB and SWA hadn't come in with their (way) lower salaries (Pre 911) and no pension then AAA guys wouldn't have had to take paycuts to be lower than JB/SWA! Oh the reality...

Last edited:
If only JB and SWA hadn't come in with their (way) lower salaries (Pre 911) and no pension then I would be at Lcc working for lower than JB! Oh the reality...

I'm pretty sure two trips through bankruptcy court had more to do with the contract the East is working under than SWA or JetBlue...

I'm pretty sure two trips through bankruptcy court had more to do with the contract the East is working under than SWA or JetBlue...

exactly whose contract do you think management slapped down in front of the negotiating team in BK and said, "you need to be lower than these guys"? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't FDX or DAL or UAL's contract.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back