2 Many Apple Laptop ?'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
semperfido said:
apple shmapple-- no self respecting pilot would be caught dead with an apple. i have seen quite a few corp pilots "rue the day" they bought an apple. compatability issues.

explain this Fido.

give me a compatibility issue??

hell, my mac runs Office faster than any PC I have seen. Im halfway through emails on a Mac while the PC is still "booting up"...hard rive churning away....virus scans starting up....spyware loading....

F that. -- you can keep it!

Ditch the PC crap, get a MAC....cut your frustration in half.

go with a powerbook - tougher than an Ibook. The aluminum case is great for dropping.. The 12 inch is a bit small but very portable..the 15 is perfect.

Hit the apple store and test drive if you are in doubt of any "compatibility" garbage you hear.

All good liberal pilots use apples and have golden retrievers who carry stuffed animals.

Hey, when is that next version of Win 95 coming out?? Longhorn? longdong?

Do I still have to hit START to shut it down?

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
explain this Fido.

give me a compatibility issue??
afiscomm 1.2 and not sure if my treo would sync with it. some scheduling software.

Last edited:
Groundpounder said:
I'm thinking of getting an iBook, but I have a very very very important question...........

Can I still use Microsoft Flight Sim on it?

Probably not. The only thing you can do is try to run Virtual PC but I really don't think it would run that well if at all.

My daughter is using my 4-year old PowerBook G3. My company pays for a laptop every two years (that's because everyone else has a non-Apple laptop and they don't last much over two years). Now, they're stretching it to 3 years between purchases.

My G4 i-book is only 6 months old so it's hard to tell. It doesn't seem to be built as well (case-wise) as my G3. I don't use AFIScom so that's irrelevent and I sent my Treo back and will get a crackberry. I don't synch stuff, so that's irrelevent, too.

Works for me. (Writing from my iMac G4 desktop with my feet propped up on the carcass of my Gateway...)TC

flydrummer said:
Probably not. The only thing you can do is try to run Virtual PC but I really don't think it would run that well if at all.

Well, where can I find a list of games that are made for a Mac? I'm not buying a laptop just for gaming, but I would like to be able to play some stuff, like MSFS, or something like it.

semperfido said:
afiscomm 1.2 and not sure if my treo would sync with it. some scheduling software.

afiscom, arinc, and any halfway useful scheduling program are all web-based today. Compatability should not be an issue! - I schedule 5000hrs a year on mine!

not sure about treos....everyone seems to use crackberrys these days (and Im not too fond of those..)

come to the dark side fido. You won't miss hauling that PC dinosaur around...

;)

and no, my guess is MACs are not for gaming. To me they are more for photos, making dvds, digital video, and no non-sense web and office apps...(90% of computer usage)

Gamers may not be happy...then again they are pasty white and weird as hell anyhow....

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
not sure about treos....everyone seems to use crackberrys these days (and Im not too fond of those..)

Most devices work out of the box with iSync, especially bluetooth. For some you might need the The Missing Sync for OS X. That let's you sync with almost anything ($40). Remember that all *books have wireless networking and bluetooth built in standard.

Gamers may not be happy...then again they are pasty white and weird as hell anyhow....

There's a couple of games available, not much though. Check out http://www.apple.com/games/features/. As far as flight sims go, there's the fantastic X-Plane: X-Plane/

Groundpounder said:
Well, where can I find a list of games that are made for a Mac? I'm not buying a laptop just for gaming, but I would like to be able to play some stuff, like MSFS, or something like it.

I've been playing x-plane on my iMac and that works really well. I've never played MSFS so I can't really compare. All I can say is check x-plane out. http://www.x-plane.com/

Gulfstream 200 said:
afiscom, arinc, and any halfway useful scheduling program are all web-based today. Compatability should not be an issue! - I schedule 5000hrs a year on mine!

come to the dark side fido. You won't miss hauling that PC dinosaur around...

;)

and no, my guess is MACs are not for gaming. To me they are more for photos, making dvds, digital video, and no non-sense web and office apps...(90% of computer usage)

Does anyone here go to online school with the apples? That is my primary concern because that is what I will mostly be using it for. Any problems with emailing from an apple to a PC? Sending documents from an apple to a PC? Can the PC people open them up? Thanks.

learflyer said:
Does anyone here go to online school with the apples? That is my primary concern because that is what I will mostly be using it for.

Check with the particular school. Most don't have a problem, but a few stubbornly cling to only using Internet Explorer 6 for Windows. (My health plan does that.) In those case, I'd either shop for a school that uses web standards, or use a program called VirtualPC that will emulate a (slow) Windows machine for that particular use.

Any problems with emailing from an apple to a PC? Sending documents from an apple to a PC? Can the PC people open them up? Thanks.

Absolutely no problems at all. The document formats have been cross-compatible for years when it comes to things like Word .doc files, Excel spreadsheets, etc. Other stuff, like PDFs, JPEGs, etc., aren't platform-specific anyway. They'll open on just about anything.

So the short answer is "no, no problems at all." :D

Latest resources

Back