• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

2 Jets at LAX Were 82 FT Apart

M-crit

Total Time
some
Why don't the take off on the outer most runways at LAX, and land on the innermost thus eliminating the need to cross in active runway after landing?

nerjdriver

Banned
Total Time
It doesnt matter. Why didnt the RAH pilots pay attention......Im sure they were too busy stroking their egos with the 190.

Unacceptable.

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
Total Time
+13000
The pilots in question; what were their qualifications? What is the action taken by the FAA? What action will be taken by their management?

SEVEN

Total Time
The pilots in question; what were their qualifications? What is the action taken by the FAA? What action will be taken by their management?
This will be covered by the ASAP most likely. This situation differs from the NWA incident. That was intentional disregard for safety and reckless. This was not intentional. Probably retraining and a letter of warning from the FAA for not following ATC clearance. I could be wrong though.

PeanuckleCRJ

Hurrrrrrrr
Total Time
mucho
This will be covered by the ASAP most likely. This situation differs from the NWA incident. That was intentional disregard for safety and reckless. This was not intentional. Probably retraining and a letter of warning from the FAA for not following ATC clearance. I could be wrong though.

You're probably correct. That's why it's so key to make sure both pilots communicate and verify each crossing as well as maintain heads up.

InTransit

Total Time
Why don't the take off on the outer most runways at LAX, and land on the innermost thus eliminating the need to cross in active runway after landing?

This is the less cluttered and ultimately safer method. There are a number of reasons: Landing aircraft are typically furthered from airport (terminal) obstructions (consider low-vis approaches), parallel approach margins are increased, landing aircraft use high-speed taxiways that are less congested than the inner taxiways, departing aircraft are not required to cross runways individually and in step with landing aircraft spacing (increasing ATC workload).

WayBack

Total Time
They were probably checking the latest FI.com info on their iPhones.

Minimaniac

Benevolent Dictator
Total Time
I am never sure why so much effort is wasted on figuring the exact separation between aircraft. It was a runway incursion, ATC was required to intervene, and there was an actual conflict that could have been catastrophic. Does it matter if it was 82 ft vs. 100 ft. vs. 20 ft?

viper548

Total Time
You have to cross runways either way. Crossing planes to get to the outboard runway would decrease the departure rate.

ual321

Former Tilton Monkey
Total Time
2+
How could two Midwest professionals allow this to happen, I mean, the combined experience level between the two..........oh wait a minute......sorry it was a rent-a-crew.

RobCat

Always on my feet
Total Time
plus 2
How could two Midwest professionals allow this to happen, I mean, the combined experience level between the two..........oh wait a minute......sorry it was a rent-a-crew.

Last I checked RAH owned that route, plane, and crew.

AirBill

PC LOAD LETTER
Total Time
None

So what's these guys' excuses?

On July 11, 2007, at 1437 Eastern daylight time a runway incursion occurred at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport, (FLL), Fort Lauderdale, Florida between United (UAL) flight 1544, an A-320 and Delta Airlines (DAL) flight 1489, a Boeing 757. The incident occurred in day visual flight rules conditions, visibility 10 miles, scattered clouds at 4,800 feet.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this incident as follows:

The probable cause of this incident was the United flightcrews' inadvertant entry onto an active runway.

AirBill

PC LOAD LETTER
Total Time
None
Baronman

Civ/Mil: Civ
A/C Flown: Kite, Katana
Ratings: Recreational Pilot

Uh-huh. Real expert here. :rolleyes:

airplane wizard

Total Time
some
Why don't they takeoff on 7/25 and land on 6/24 or visa versa. They would still have 2 rwy's each for departures and arrivals, but wouldn't have to cross an active as much