• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Slick

Special Jetwire - Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Special Jetwire

A Message from Chairman and CEO Tom Horton

Dear American Team:

The new American is getting closer every day. Today, we announced an important step on our path to sustained, profitable growth. We plan to offer new service from Dallas/Fort Worth to Seoul, South Korea and Lima, Peru; from Chicago to Dusseldorf, Germany; and from New York JFK to Dublin, Ireland, along with expanded domestic reach from our DFW and Chicago hubs. These routes are further evidence of progress and momentum. More than that, these are signs of more good things to come for our customers and opportunities for our people as we put American back on top.

Today's announcement builds on the foundation for success we put in place before beginning our restructuring eleven months ago. We strengthened our network around markets with large numbers of the most discerning customers who are critical to our success, and fortified our alliances with the best international partners. We are rapidly building the youngest and most efficient fleet in the industry, with 550 new aircraft on their way. We're also investing again in our products, services and technology to create a world-class travel experience.

Thanks to all of your efforts, this strategy is paying off. As our third quarter results showed, we have outperformed all of our major domestic competitors in year-over-year revenue growth for six straight months. Once the full cost savings of our restructuring begin to flow through, American will be strong and profitable, competitive with any airline in the world.

The new service we announced today will further strengthen our network. We will connect our largest hub, DFW, to Seoul, a top global premium market. This service, which will be part of our transpacific joint business with Japan Airlines, will allow customers traveling from South Korea to access more than 200 destinations in the U.S. and Latin America.

Dusseldorf, a hub served by our partner, airberlin, will give our customers access to many additional international markets and feed customers to our network. JFK-Dublin also holds much promise. Both European routes will be part of our transatlantic joint business with British Airways and Iberia.

And, building on our oneworld partnership with LAN and our strong position in Latin America, where we are the largest U.S. carrier, Lima offers us a rapidly growing destination though which customers can access 30 destinations to Central America, Mexico and South America.

As we further diversify our network, the new American will be doing even more international flying, providing greater opportunities for career advancement and increased income for our people. As part of our plans, we expect to hire at least 1,500 new flight attendants over the next year and create approximately 2,500 new and recalled pilot jobs over five years, which we think will lead to about 1,300 Captain upgrades.

Above all, the new American will always put customers first. With that in mind, I am pleased that were seeing significant improvement in our operations from the challenges we faced over the past few weeks, and I am very grateful for your commitment to our customers during a difficult stretch.

Thanks for all you do!

Sincerely,

Tom

Hmmmmm, let me think, 50 years old bottom of the list, 1300 upgrades over the next 5 years, I would still be an f/o with a sh1t schedule after this smoke blast up my rear....big maybe on this boys. No thanks. Good luck guys.

all part of the 2012 hiring boom

all part of the 2012 hiring boom

2012 eh?

You're like a broken record.

Edit:
You've made 255 posts over almost 9 years continually predicting hiring 'booms'. According to this in your first ever prediction, next year (2013) is a terrible year in which to find a job, from 2003.

"
As posted before years ending in 3's are bad years to find flying jobs, the guys in 73, 83, 93 thought the world of flying was all closed up and there would never be a chance to make a living in the cockpit, fast forward five years and hiring is booming, 78, 88, 98 were years just about anyone could get a job, maybe not a great one but a flying job anyway. Those who find a way to stay in the cockpit, get flight time, and don't waste their time in getting a worthless 4 yr degree in Avaition Management will be a the front of the line when the hiring starts because they will have the flight time for the job, the hiring boom starting in 07/08 will be different than the boom's in the past, it will not be the "Majors" it will in the other end of the business. And they will not care about a college degree. So if you want to fly, Fly build hours and be ready for the hiring boom on 07. Now if you want to go to college to learn something that has a market value, that is good idea, like accounting, teaching, nursing, etc. But don't waste your time in college taking courses with no market value to become a pilot, your potential employer does not care. "

Last edited:
2012 eh?

You're like a broken record.

Edit:
You've made 255 posts over almost 9 years continually predicting hiring 'booms'. According to this in your first ever prediction, next year (2013) is a terrible year in which to find a job, from 2003.

"
As posted before years ending in 3's are bad years to find flying jobs, the guys in 73, 83, 93 thought the world of flying was all closed up and there would never be a chance to make a living in the cockpit, fast forward five years and hiring is booming, 78, 88, 98 were years just about anyone could get a job, maybe not a great one but a flying job anyway. Those who find a way to stay in the cockpit, get flight time, and don't waste their time in getting a worthless 4 yr degree in Avaition Management will be a the front of the line when the hiring starts because they will have the flight time for the job, the hiring boom starting in 07/08 will be different than the boom's in the past, it will not be the "Majors" it will in the other end of the business. And they will not care about a college degree. So if you want to fly, Fly build hours and be ready for the hiring boom on 07. Now if you want to go to college to learn something that has a market value, that is good idea, like accounting, teaching, nursing, etc. But don't waste your time in college taking courses with no market value to become a pilot, your potential employer does not care. "
We had one in 1999 where the majors were hiring without college degrees, followed by one in 2007/8, where a fogged mirror would get you an interview at a regional. I think that was a pretty good SWAG in that 2003 post. Notice I said it would not be the majors. We are seeing growing jobs available around the world. But what might kills this is the devastation of the in August 2013, the 1500 hour rule. It will kill the feeder routes, reduce mainline traffic, and destroy jobs. The FAA is working with congress to mitigate this disaster coming next summer. BTW Thanks for keeping track of that old post, and where did that 255 number come from. You can't really be keeping track of my hiring posts can you?

To be fair to our resident broken record, he could not have predicted the age 65 shift.
That explain the shift in years from the old pattern,

Last edited:
We had one in 1999 where the majors were hiring without college degrees, followed by one in 2007/8, where a fogged mirror would get you an interview at a regional. I think that was a pretty good SWAG in that 2003 post. Notice I said it would not be the majors. We are seeing growing jobs available around the world. But what might kills this is the devastation of the in August 2013, the 1500 hour rule. It will kill the feeder routes, reduce mainline traffic, and destroy jobs. The FAA is working with congress to mitigate this disaster coming next summer. BTW Thanks for keeping track of that old post, and where did that 255 number come from. You can't really be keeping track of my hiring posts can you?

That explain the shift in years from the old pattern,
At least the college degree requirement will remain intact for years when it comes to major airline hiring.

at United college degree is preferred not required. Doesn't get much more major than united.

at United college degree is preferred not required. Doesn't get much more major than united.
Add NWA to that list if a family member flew there.

At least the college degree requirement will remain intact for years when it comes to major airline hiring.
You may be right, but I think there will such an experience shortage by 2015 that experience will be the most important thing on a resume as opposed to to right now where a check in the box on the lower right corner determines if you will get an interview.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back