1st Qtr Results-Netjets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gret

For the first quarter of 2010, NetJets’ revenues increased 18% over 2009, which was primarily attributable to a 7% increase in worldwide flight revenue hours and higher fuel cost surcharges, partially offset by lower management fees due to fewer aircraft in theNetJets program. NetJets generated pre-tax earnings of $57 million in the first quarter of 2010 compared to a pre-tax loss of $96 million in 2009. The improvement in earnings was attributed to the increase in revenues and to an overall reduction in flight operations and administrative costs, partially offset by higher fuel costs. In addition, NetJets’ results in the first quarter of 2010 benefitted from a decline of about $50 million in aircraft impairment and inventory valuation charges compared to the first quarter of 2009.

NetJets continues to own more aircraft than is required for present operations and we expect to continue to dispose selected aircraft over time. NetJets’ operating cost structure has been reduced to better match customer demand, and we continue to believe that NetJets will operate profitably in the future.

Well at least it's a step in the right direction.
In addition, NetJets’ results in the first quarter of 2010 benefitted from a decline of about $50 million in aircraft impairment and inventory valuation charges compared to the first quarter of 2009.
If I knew what that sentence meant ... I could either agree with you or disagree with you.

For all I know, it just means the results were pencil whipped to make Santulli look bad and the new management look good.

Does it mean Aircraft values hit rock bottom in 2009 and had no where to go but up in value ... contributing $50M in "profit" for the first quarter?

Last edited:
NetJets continues to own more aircraft than is required for present operations and we expect to continue to dispose selected aircraft over time. NetJets’ operating cost structure has been reduced to better match customer demand, and we continue to believe that NetJets will operate profitably in the future.

Anyone want to buy an NJA seniority number? What category could I put that under on ebay?

I don't trust any of the numbers any big business puts out- too many places for accountants to twist the truth for whatever purposes that the current management wants. I do believe NetJets has made a lot of good moves cutting waste and is doing much better than last year, but just about every business that is still around is doing that.

Anyone want to buy an NJA seniority number? What category could I put that under on ebay?

I'll sell you mine. No Ebay required.

If I had to choose a category, I'd put it right next to the collectible toilet paper.

I don't trust any of the numbers any big business puts out- too many places for accountants to twist the truth for whatever purposes that the current management wants. I do believe NetJets has made a lot of good moves cutting waste and is doing much better than last year, but just about every business that is still around is doing that.

I agree that DS did make some necessary reductions in costs. And I strongly agree that just about anyone could have showed a profit year-to-year from '09...Hell, if someone from the outside was to look at my
401(k) gains over the past year and a half they'd swear I was the next Buffett. And I'm definitely not the only one...

While the numbers are beginning to look stronger, NJA is defitnitely still in reduction mode. Growth won't be until we have as many, or more planes than in '08...

Example: The folks at Comair used to be twice the size they are now. They could bring back all the pilots and hire some. They still will have reduced their company until they are at 2000 pilots again. (prob. never happen but ya get my drift)..

I doubt recalls would even possibly happen until atleast summer 2011 or later. (they'd be trained and ready to go for the winter season of '11/'12). We won't see recalls happen by this winter because they'd be online for the slower summer season. DS would prob. see that as a waste of $$.

And then recalls will still be at a trickle. Explosive growth is 300 pilots a year. I'd say we be lucky to see 50-75 pilots a year recall rate. (RTS liked the explosive growth method, I doubt DS is that kind of flagrant manager). Plus slower recall rates for slower summers planned in.

So we're looking at atleast 5-6 years of recalls, plus the time it takes to start the first recall. That's still a long time.

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of upset people on this forum. Suggestion for those looking for jobs: try Kalitta Air Cargo. Perhaps you hadn't considered Kalitta... I don't work there but I just read that they are adding 5 747-400Fs this fall (recently purchased from JAL Cargo) and they will be online this fall. Doesn't hurt to apply...

Good luck!

Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Latest resources

Back