Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

learflyer

Time to drill Congress!
i posted this in the medical forum as well. I have an opportunity in a couple days to fly an 800xp to St. Maarten. I did some research, and all I could find was some language saying you "should" have a current 1st class, because they don't recognize the U.S. rules? Thanks. Also, where in the regs does it have the grace period language in it as far as Recency of experience. I had my Hawker recurrent in Nov 06', so I should be good until the end of December, right?

Grace periods only apply to the FAA 135 side of things. Is this a 135 flight?

I disagree..

§ 61.58 Pilot-in-command proficiency check: Operation of aircraft requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, to serve as pilot in command of an aircraft that is type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember, a person must—
(1) Within the preceding 12 calendar months, complete a pilot-in-command proficiency check in an aircraft that is type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember; and
(2) Within the preceding 24 calendar months, complete a pilot-in-command proficiency check in the particular type of aircraft in which that person will serve as pilot in command.

(g) If a pilot takes the pilot-in-command proficiency check required by this section in the calendar month before or the calendar month after the month in which it is due, the pilot is considered to have taken it in the month in which it was due for the purpose of computing when the next pilot-in-command proficiency check is due.

as far as your original question...you do not need a 1st class medical. There is some language in the ICAO regs, or interpretation from the ICAO medical people, that shows class 2 is ok. Some people have given US pilots a hard time over this for other reasons.

Thanks, you've been a great help. No, it's not a 135flight. Luckily, i'm "only" going to the caribbean.

first class

Hay
There are quite a few older gentleman out there flying on class 2's, N regestered, international kind of stuff, so I think your okay.

Old international guy:cartman:

There were some really good posts on this subject a month or so ago. From what I recall, some of the very knowledgeable pilots that frequent this forum spelled it out pretty clear...

Something like this:

ICAO requires a ICAO EQUIVELENT first class medical. There are only two classes for ICAO, so it must be a first if you don't operate as a US pilot.

In the US, BOTH the first and second class meds comply with ICAO first class requirements. So......A second class should be good for part 91 PIC.

Clear as mud?

To read some of their replies....search for a thread regarding French SAFA checks grounding pilots for have US second class meds.

FAA 1st or 2nd = ICAO 1st class. However, it is easier to just have a current first class medical when going overseas. If you cannot hold a first class medical I would get a letter from ICAO explaining the regs and have it translated into French.

Here is what the NBAA has to say on the topic.

Latest resources

Back