1st Class Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cletislj04

What are the requirements for a first class medical? How hard is it to keep it? (health wise) What is the main eliminator in getting the medical? Thanks:D

FAR 67 Subpart B (67.101-67.115)

If you take care of yourself it shouldn't be too had to keep.

Depending on age, I think it's heart problems followed by psychological problems.

Last edited:
The most common failures are high blood pressure, failing the color vision test, and any history or current use of medications not approved by the FAA. Most of these can be waived through a special issuance with the exception of medications for seizure and psychiatric disorders.

First Class Medical

As long as you are in good general health, you can get a First. Really, the physical is complete but not as thorough as your own your M.D. or D.O. would give you.

If you wear glasses or contacts, you can still get a First, but you might have to take a vision-correction restriction, just the same as for your driver's license.

As long as you maintain good general health, you can maintain First Class Medical Certification.

This website has good FAA medical info, www.leftseat.com .

Good luck with your physical.

I think if you have glasses or contacts you MUST get a restriction. I am 20/30 in one eye and 20/20 in the other and I have a corrective lens restriction on my medical.

Latest resources

Back