Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Yudso

Takin' it like a man
Why are students who had their ratings paid for by their parents looked upon with the same contempt as those who pft? My parents paid for my Private through CFI. The way I look at it is same as paying for college. I am not going to go out and a buy a job. As it stands right now I am flying about once a month on my own dime, flying a desk so that I can eat, and hoping to get students in the near future. WTF.

Yudso said:
Why are students who had their ratings paid for by their parents looked upon with the same contempt as those who pft?

They're not.

The way I look at it is same as paying for college.
Pilots without college degrees are looked down upon in the industry (I'd guess b/c almost all of us have a degree). Hope your parents helped pay for college AND your rateings, otherwise you can look forward to being treated like a PFT candidate. Sure, you could be hired, but you're not making it any easier on yourself.

-Boo!

Last edited:
I don't think your statement is even true, but also why should others even have to know who paid for your ratings?

The PFT issue does have some gray areas and to some among us the penumbra is very wide and gets wider with each day.

I’ve always understood PFT as simply one who buys a seat, essentially pays money to occupy the right seat. Not someone who pays for required training just to meet FAA or general job qualifications.

Pay For Training is misleading to some; it should be Pay For Occupation or something (more) catchy.

I attended a big aviation university and achieved my ratings along with my degree, my parents like many others saved for me to go to college and it was I who chose to go there.
What I did is not PTF and for someone to try to draw that distinction tells me a lot about them, either sour a old curmudgeon who lost a job and now is blaming anything and everything for it or just a plain ole idiot.

I’ve actually met people, although few, who think that you should not have to pay/buy any ratings beyond the CMEL, that if someone wants to hire you as an instructor that they should pay for the CFI and so forth. That type of thinking is extreme but it is there and it gets worse because there are people who will buy the privileges to sit right seat in a Cessna 402 or BE1900 for 200 or 250 hours of “SIC time”.

These last types of people do PFT and do take a paying job off the market when they perform such acts. These people should be shamed just as much as union scabs should they are no less hurting the industry as a whole.

It is expected and really required for parents nowadays to save and help pay for college, even if you plan to join the military you still have to get a degree.

PFT and Pay For College and Ratings are two entirely different things.

-R

College Degree=yes
Flying job=no

Latest resources

Back