• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1500 hr bill passes senate!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll be the first to admit the last one was my fault. The instruction was great, but nerves got the better of me the first and second time around. My examiner asked me about my aspirations to fly for a living and telling him the airlines seemed to have set off something in him. Lot's of belittling went on during the course of my 6-7 hour long oral only to be failed at the end. Needless to say my confidence is very low right now.

I'll be the first to admit the last one was my fault. The instruction was great, but nerves got the better of me the first and second time around. My examiner asked me about my aspirations to fly for a living and telling him the airlines seemed to have set off something in him. Lot's of belittling went on during the course of my 6-7 hour long oral only to be failed at the end. Needless to say my confidence is very low right now.

Remember when I used to put you under the hood for unusual attitude recovery in the R and some of the times you'd look up and the ground was above you?

What happened brah, you used to be THE MAN dawg....I am disappoint.

Lynx that is total BS. A 6 hr oral is not fair. Sounds like you need a different DE. Our school had a couple-one was even a Skin Head Neo-Nazi, but he treated all students fairly and his failure rate was 10%. Most examiners are a bit strange, but in the end if their fair and you learn something, that is what counts-

Lynx that is total BS. A 6 hr oral is not fair. Sounds like you need a different DE.

My initial CFI took at LEAST that long....I got there in the morning and drove home in the dark.

Lynx that is total BS. A 6 hr oral is not fair. Sounds like you need a different DE. Our school had a couple-one was even a Skin Head Neo-Nazi, but he treated all students fairly and his failure rate was 10%. Most examiners are a bit strange, but in the end if their fair and you learn something, that is what counts-

I still need to take responsibility for it though and hopefully one day with the advent of this legislation I will be able to explain myself and get a job. I know I'm good, but with disclosing my failures I feel I'm screwed to the hiring board.

Quote: "The Senate passed a bill that increases the minimum number of flight hours for beginning passenger airline pilots from 250 to 1,500, and a White House spokeswoman said President Obama will sign the bill this weekend."

And this legislation is SOOOO IMPORTANT,....that we're only gonna make you wait THREE YEARS for it to take effect,.....because we know that no airline in their right mind would AGAIN hire low-time pilots and put your family at risk,...... to save $10 per flight hour.

And

Quote: "In addition, the bill mandates simulator stall-recovery training..."

....because it's unreasonable for us to expect a professional pilot to have received stall training and testing during their private pilot training and FAA checkride, their commercial pilot training and checkride, their 121 or 135 training and FAA checkrides, any Type specific training and checkride, or their ATP FAA checkride.

There just aren't enough opportunities for professional pilots to demonstrate proficiency in stall recovery! Thank God, Senator Chuck Schumer is here to make sure that all professional pilots know when to push the yoke forward and add power!

I can't WAIT for my government to handle my healthcare!!! Nobody know's how to treat ulcerative colitis like a lawyer-turned politician!

My CFI initial was an 8 hour oral then a 2.5 hour flight which I did one thing he disagreed with. It was based on technique. Either way I am told that the FAA get's on a DPE's back if he fails less than 70% of his CFI initials.

This is Gods way of telling you to find another career. I'm not sure that CFI rides count for much as failures but it all depends on who's judging you. Some fat HR lady who has no idea what it means to be a pilot will probably not be happy that you failed to get your "instructor" rating but another pilot on the board may think it's no big deal because they know failure rates for CFI is very high. No use in worrying about it, it's all about luck in this industry, not merit. That's why so many are miserable.

Personally, a red flag would be someone that has failed to complete 121 airline training. That's a big red flag, but a couple of explaineable checkrides here and there? Who cares.

The CFI ride does matter. The magical number happens to be 3 failures for disqualification.

With that being said, I had a student who took 3 rides (Private, Instrument and Commercial Multi) and failed 2 of them. He got hired by Mesa and then got furloughed. But Colgan hired him recently.

We have an instructor who took 8 rides and failed 3 including CFI intial and Colgan wouldn't even interview him.

I know it doesn't sound fair but thats the way airlines are now. Its not fair to penalize someone who failed his private around 50 hours and instrument around 100 hours.

Can you imagine if the Medical Board told a doctor that just graduated from med school that they couldn't practice because they had failed science class in 3rd grade, in 5th grade and 9th grade.

Good grief.

The CFI ride does matter. The magical number happens to be 3 failures for disqualification.

With that being said, I had a student who took 3 rides (Private, Instrument and Commercial Multi) and failed 2 of them. He got hired by Mesa and then got furloughed. But Colgan hired him recently.

We have an instructor who took 8 rides and failed 3 including CFI intial and Colgan wouldn't even interview him.

I know it doesn't sound fair but thats the way airlines are now. Its not fair to penalize someone who failed his private around 50 hours and instrument around 100 hours.

Can you imagine if the Medical Board told a doctor that just graduated from med school that they couldn't practice because they had failed science class in 3rd grade, in 5th grade and 9th grade.

Good grief.

Those failures are in primary training, and really the examiners are not require to fail you like they are during the CFI. You really did something wrong if you failed primary rides more than once. Airlines do look at that. People will fail something, there's just too much that can go wrong during a check ride, most of witch is subjective. The examiner may not like the way you look that day, or you might get a bad flight partner etc etc. The key is multiple bad failures.

Latest resources

Back